PDA

View Full Version : kit fox ss7 oil cooler mounting

wingnutairhead
05-27-2017, 02:30 PM
I was wondering if there is any builders that have found a more secure way to mount the oilcooler to the radiator?

I cut the straps off as they were loose and in need of replacement, and i found that once removed, the cooling fins were damaged and made an entrance hole larger than was initially installed. If I put on new straps, the oil cooler will be loose once again...

Any thoughts or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Rotax 912 ULS
250 HRS
Kitfox 7SS
C-FXEG
c.kiene@hotmail.com
Edmonton AB

jrevens
05-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Chuck,
Could you possibly relocate the rivet holes a little on the new brackets? If you made the new brackets a little wider that might be even more doable. If you make sure the holes are drilled accurately, with a nice fit before pulling the rivets, they should be good. You might also consider bonding with some 9460 Hysol, as well as riveting.

wingnutairhead
05-27-2017, 03:58 PM
No rivets on this mount... its held on with the cylindrical nylon type ratchet strap zip tie oil cooler mount kit...

did i miss something when i initially installed it?

jrevens
05-27-2017, 06:52 PM
No rivets on this mount... its held on with the cylindrical nylon type ratchet strap zip tie oil cooler mount kit...

did i miss something when i initially installed it?

No, it must have been later that Kitfox started mounting them with 4 S.S. brackets. Sorry for the confusion... maybe you could remount it like they do now? You should be able to get info on that and materials from Kitfox. I always thought that way of mounting the oil cooler was not a very good design, IMHO.

wingnutairhead
05-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Cheers,

I thought so by now, aprecciate your guidance, wilco john on monday...