PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons on Cont O-200 in a Kitfox SS

southwind32
05-16-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm new to the forum. Thinking of building a Kitfox and would like to hear any pros and cons on installing a Continental in a Kitfox series 7. I know the Rotax Engines are good, but I'm sorta old school and like (and I'm use to) the slower turning Continentals. Thanks
Brian

ken nougaret
05-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Hi Brian
I just finished my SS7 last november with an o-200. I have 50hrs on it and am quite pleased. I'm old school also, and besides that i had the engine before deciding on a kit. And i knew that i could rebuild it, which i did. I went with a whirlwind prop for looks, weight and performance. I think one of the things i like best is taxiing along with the put, put, put idle sound. Nobody expects to hear that and have been asked several times what engine is in there?
The down side is the added weight. But my balance came in perfectly and i can fly my wife and i, full fuel and 150lbs of baggage and be under 1550lbs.
Ken

jiott
05-16-2017, 02:04 PM
In addition to the weight advantage, the Rotax pros are: no mixture control, no carb heat, electronic ignition (not sure if the 0-200 has this), 4 gal/hour cruise on 91 AKI mogas, inexpensive motorcycle spark plugs, nearly no oil consumption between oil changes, 2000+ hours TBO, very even temp distribution to all cylinders due to water cooled heads, no air baffles required, great cabin heat with auto style water heater core, much less danger of CO in the cabin from a cracked exhaust heat muff, much smoother/less vibration running, much less noise inside and out, confidence due to huge number flying worldwide, modern close tolerance efficient design. Did I miss anything?

Its a very easy engine to quickly take you from "old school" to "new school".

Esser
05-16-2017, 03:31 PM
If i was looking at an O-200 for almost the same weight and 25% more HP I would look at an O-240

Jim, you missed many add as you go aftermarket items like big bores, fuel injection, and turbos. Also the gear box means that if you have a prop strike engine damage most likely won't occur.

jiott
05-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Good points Josh, I'm sure there are still more we have neglected to mention. Nostalgia is very important to some folks and I would never fault them for it, after all most of us fly these airplanes for fun and feel good, not for technical hard facts and economic reasons.

PapuaPilot
05-16-2017, 04:50 PM
I have the IO-240 and love it. I have a 665# useful load and can do 140# of cargo. People always ask what the engine is when they hear it (it ain't no Rotax;)). With the injected engine I don't have to worry about carb heat.

Advantages of the O-200:
Easy to work on
Very dependable
Easy to time the mags
Easy to adjust the carb (you don't have to balance two carbs like the Rotax)
Electronic ignition available (I have the P-Mag and love it)
Parts are reasonably priced and readily available
Any A&P will be able to work on it (most don't have clue with the Rotax)

I'm not down on the Rotax at all. The Rotax 912 would have been my other choice.

You won't have quite as good flight & STOL performance due to the extra weight, but the Kitfox is a great performer regardless.