PDA

View Full Version : Getting the tail up on takeoff

sdemeyer
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Been experimenting with different takeoff flap settings and still have trouble getting the tail up on takeoff. Every now and then the tail will come up by itself but most times the tail will not and I either have to make a three point takeoff or horse the tail up. I know it must be something I'm doing wrong so what is it?

Thanks, Scott

Slyfox
09-01-2009, 08:57 AM
weight and balance comes to mine. If the tail is too heavy this might be your problem. When taking off, hit full throttle, as speed comes in(aircraft) you can push forward on the stick until the plane levels out. You will have to use rudder to keep things straight down the runway. When the speed is good, pull back on the stick a little and the way you go. Other things that come to might is the prop, what kind and how is it set. Too course and you might not be getting enough speed for take off. If the tail is too heavy or the whole plane is just too heavy, might make for a problem taking off as well. My model 4 with the 912 is 630 dry.

Bryan
09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Scott I agree with Steve, shortly after you start excelerating down the runway you should be able to push the stick forward and lift the tail. Mine will come up almost instantly after applying power.

Slyfox
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
you don't need full stick forward. on my airplane that's way forward. Just enough to bring the tail up, and yes mine comes up real fast.

sdemeyer
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the helpful tips. I was taught to keep the stick neutral and wait for the tail to come up on it's own. I will try pushing the stick forward earlier on.