PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a minor incident

pileofgeorge
05-07-2017, 02:47 PM
So I need some advice. I had my fox in the driveway doing some guessing and checking. I was checking and adjusting my control surface to make sure I was minimizing unneeded rubbing or noises as I prepare for my FAA inspection. I was folding the wings at dusk. I had one folded and was in the middle of folding the second. I had just taken the pin out and was holding the wing (with a full load of fuel) along the leading edge. A rogue gust of wind managed to blow the full wing out of my hands. It struck the tail and shook the plane. I was mortified at what had happened. However, after an inspection, I found the damage was quite minor. I took an endoscope and inspected the whole frame and found no structural damage. The damage was a few dings in the flapperon and scuffs (not torn through) on the vertical stabilizer. I'm going to add a few pics.

At this point, I need some advice. Since the damage is so small, I not sure I want to do a traditional stits polyfiber patch. I'm not sure the best way to fix the fabric and the flapperon. I'm not even sure I should fix it at all because of the miniscule size of it.

efwd
05-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Pileofgeorge,
In my experience with any kind of fabric (only automotive and not relying on UV protection) damage only gets bigger. I suspect with 120 mph winds and sun those will worsen over time. You may have a simple fix if your not really wanting to strip the paint down and place a patch over it. I believe Oratex will cover your damage. I would send you a smidge of glue and fabric but I don't have white. Someone here may have white. If someone has some spare tapes you might even just be able to iron the tape over your damage. I believe if you go on betteraircraftfabric.com you can find video of where they have patched fabric on non Oratex aircraft.
Eddie

pileofgeorge
05-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the advice!

pileofgeorge
05-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Pileofgeorge,
In my experience with any kind of fabric (only automotive and not relying on UV protection) damage only gets bigger. I suspect with 120 mph winds and sun those will worsen over time. You may have a simple fix if your not really wanting to strip the paint down and place a patch over it. I believe Oratex will cover your damage. I would send you a smidge of glue and fabric but I don't have white. Someone here may have white. If someone has some spare tapes you might even just be able to iron the tape over your damage. I believe if you go on betteraircraftfabric.com you can find video of where they have patched fabric on non Oratex aircraft.
Eddie

Did some looking into oratex for patching. Do you think their reinforcing tape would work for these patches? It might work better because it would allow me to line the entire vertical stabilizer with the tape at the level where the flapperons might hit it if this were to happen again. I'm going to assume it shares similar qualities to normal oratex patches seeing as how it's applied similarly. I may be totally wrong in my conjecture though...

Av8r3400
05-07-2017, 07:50 PM
George, I edited your original posting to make the photos smaller so that they can be seen easier.

efwd
05-08-2017, 01:31 AM
I believe the patch may be made of the UL6000 while the tapes are UL600 (thinner). I would see no reason the thinner UL600 tape would not suffice. My SS7 is covered in UL600 but all the tapes they send are of the UL600. This is all speculation though. I only have the web site to reference. You could place a call to Lars or Paul of Better aircraft Fabric and they will inform you of all you need to know.
Eddie

Norm
05-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Quick and easy patch. Use vinyl sign material. Sign shops have a vinyl that is self adhesive and many people use for lettering on our planes. If you are friendly with any shop they will probably be able to give you a few scraps that will match your colors. Cut small dollies slightly larger than the blemish using pinking shears and apply, no glue, no paint, no mess. Monitor it when you do your preflight. Quick and easy peasy. Good Luck.
Norm

HighWing
05-08-2017, 06:26 AM
I like Norm,s suggestion. I think what I would try first is to use the small iron used over some sheet Teflon to prevent any sticking to smooth any bunching of the fsbric/adhesive/coatings where the scratches sre.

pileofgeorge
05-08-2017, 06:28 AM
George, I edited your original posting to make the photos smaller so that they can be seen easier.

Thanks! I couldn't exactly figure out how to do that.

pileofgeorge
05-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Alright, I think I've got a plan together on the skin. What (if anything) should I do about the flapperon?

Esser
05-08-2017, 08:38 AM
If you have sheet metal pliers or any pliers without teeth that will mar the aluminum, I would say just try to squeeze to as close as flat as you can and be on your way.

pileofgeorge
05-08-2017, 08:56 AM
If you have sheet metal pliers or any pliers without teeth that will mar the aluminum, I would say just try to squeeze to as close as flat as you can and be on your way.

Thanks. Will do. Wasn't sure if that was safe or if it could.weaken the already damaged aluminum but I'm going to trust you on this. :)

efwd
05-08-2017, 10:43 AM
I would tap those little dings out with a ball peen hammer. That metal is pretty soft and thin. It would probably tease out without any problem.

Esser
05-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks. Will do. Wasn't sure if that was safe or if it could.weaken the already damaged aluminum but I'm going to trust you on this. :)

I would feel fine doing this. If you were really worried you could rivet a aluminum doubler over the damaged area but I think that would be over kill.

pileofgeorge
05-08-2017, 11:08 AM
I would feel fine doing this. If you were really worried you could rivet a aluminum doubler over the damaged area but I think that would be over kill.

I agree. There's no need for that much work on damage that's no bigger than 1 inch in diameter