PDA

View Full Version : Tire Changing Questions

cirrusjetpilot
04-26-2017, 11:41 AM
I am about to change my tires and put a the new 22'" Aeroclassic. I am not mechanically inclined and was hoping for some advice.

I understand how to remove/replace the tire etc,, but what do you use to lift the gear and where do you jack it up? What do you use to lift it?

Anyone have pictures that can share so I can get an idea how it is done?

Can a car jack lift it without a problem or needs to be some type of specific jack?

Thanks
Alex

jiott
04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
For jacking, I just use a common bottle jack, placed up about 12" above the ground on some large wooden blocks. The top of the jack is cushioned with a smaller block of wood placed right under the mounting blocks for the Grove gear-right over the bolt heads. Do one side at a time, and block the other main wheel so it doesn't roll. There are many other ways to do it, and many guys have built neat little gizmos to make it easy. My method just uses common stuff you probably already have laying around.

cirrusjetpilot
04-26-2017, 01:56 PM
For jacking, I just use a common bottle jack, placed up about 12" above the ground on some large wooden blocks. The top of the jack is cushioned with a smaller block of wood placed right under the mounting blocks for the Grove gear-right over the bolt heads. Do one side at a time, and block the other main wheel so it doesn't roll. There are many other ways to do it, and many guys have built neat little gizmos to make it easy. My method just uses common stuff you probably already have laying around.

I see. 12" is enough to extent the jack all the way up to the gear? Seems like quite a distance for the jack to travel.

Thanks

N981MS
04-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Similar to what Jim said but I bought a tall bottle jack from McMaster Carr and made a cradle.

If you scroll down you can find a sideways picture I posted.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2561&highlight=jack&page=12

Dusty
04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
A saw horse or a solid bench or trestle under the firewall,then lift the tail and place on another saw horse under that.I am wary of a jack under the suspension as there isn't much to sit on,if it slips the wingtip is possibly going to clobber something.If fitting bigger tyres the jack may have to be repositioned so make allowances if jacking from the axle.if jacking on the float mount ,use a solid bit of ply or similar as a slip off the jack may make for a drafty floor:o

HighWing
04-27-2017, 02:43 PM
My solution is similar to Dusty's but different. I use the three legged supports for holding cars up for work. They need an extension that was made up from appropriately sized tubing with cushions made of Plastic that fits over the Castle nuts for security. I lift the tail - Model IV about 45 lbs - then have someone else help with positioning the stands under the lift strut bolts. After everything is in place, rock the tail down and secure it with bucket full of sand with tie down straps attached to the side handle.

I have never done it this way, but if additional stability is desired, one side could possibly be done at a time.

Esser
04-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Hey Alex, I'm sure you know but it's worth mentioning just in case, make sure your tire is deflated before you take the split rim apart.

cirrusjetpilot
04-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Hey Alex, I'm sure you know but it's worth mentioning just in case, make sure your tire is deflated before you take the split rim apart.

Yes. We did that.

Thanks for the tips. Ended up using a block of wood and jack it up. It worked out really well. Felt solid.

Now, any tips and tricks with the new bigger tires?

Thanks
Alex