PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal stabilizer

Dorsal
08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I am doing the final assembly of the horizontal stab with manual trim and would like some comments on setting the initial angle. The manual says to set the link to 18" which appears to put the stab at the very bottom of the range, the new manual refers to the neutral position of the stab (electric trim) as closer to the middle of the range. Looking for comments from those who are flying the S7 with manual trim, mine is pretty by the book with a 912s up front.
All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Mark
09-01-2009, 07:02 AM
I installed mine at 18" and it was fairly level. I would guess I had about
1 1/2" from the horizontal stabilizer and the upper fuselage tube. I actually raised mine to about 18 1/2" to lower my nose a bit when fully loaded. I can't imagine how yours could be that low since the bottom af the range is nearly 5 or 6" from the upper tube. I'll take some measurements today to verify these guesses. Do you have a pic you can post?

Dorsal
09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Mark,
Thanks for the reply, I will check these numbers against my plane and take a picture or two tonight. (I am basing the "Range" on the cutouts in the tail covers)

Dave S
09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Dorsal,

Our series 7 worked out the same way - set the rod at 18" like the manual said (apparently the instructions are correct - 'cuz it worked out perfectly on first flight) and that put the HS leading edge at the bottom of the slot on the tail side covers. All through testing and current use - no indications it needed to be different and it has never been changed from the original setting.:)

Sincerely,

Dave S
St Paul, MN

Dave S
09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Dorsal,

Missed a couple comments I should have included - ours is a series 7 trike - 912 ULS warp Drive; And, it has the manual trim. My wild elbow guess is the setting is different for the manual trim than for the electric trim due to the mechanical differences between tabs on the elevator as with the manual trim versus a trimmable HS as with the electric trim.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Mark
09-02-2009, 04:37 AM
(I am basing the "Range" on the cutouts in the tail covers)
Ah, now this makes more sense. Here's a pic of mine at 18". It, too, is pretty close to the bottom of the access cover travel. However, the slot is only used for installation. I've heard of others raising the leading edge, but unless you're really nose heavy, it won't need to go any lower.

Dorsal
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
This is very helpful, thank you both, I can now proceed with confidence (at least on this issue).