PDA

View Full Version : firewall forward

Flybyjim
04-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Hello folks,
I am about 2 months out from ordering the firewall forward for a SS7 and Rotax 100 carb engine. After talking to Debra, (she has always been very helpful) I thought I would reach out and ask if there are thoughts about placing the order, items that may not come with the package that I will need down the road.

DesertFox4
04-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Jim, the firewall forward packages are pretty complete minus propellor choice and associated spacers and bolts.
Not sure if oil cooler is included.

efwd
04-09-2017, 10:00 PM
I just took delivery of my firewall forward about a month and a half ago. Oil Cooler is there in the 912iS kit.
Eddie

jiott
04-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Highly recommend you get the optioal oil thermostat kit. Also get the remote oil pressure kit. Its also a good time to decide on your engine monitoring system and get those sensors, because most of them mount forward the firewall. Also the cabin heater kit.

jrevens
04-10-2017, 11:10 AM
The oil cooler came with mine too. The new Rotax engines have a different type oil pressure sensor - a smaller, lighter unit that is a true pressure transducer. I have been told of some isolated issues with them, but they are supposed to be better for being mounted directly on the engine - they come that way. I chose to take mine off and use one of the older style VDO variable resistance sensors that matched my gauge, and mounted it remotely on the firewall as suggested by Jim. Those old sensors are pretty bulletproof when they aren't mounted on that vibrating engine. I ran -3 size teflon-lined SS braided hose to it. If you're going with a glass panel, I'm sure you'll be able to accomodate either type, but if you have a separate gauge, make sure it matches the sensor. I also used an oil temp thermostatic valve.

Flybyjim
04-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Thank's guys, all good info.

Jim

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Hello, Pardon the lack of of knowledge, literally my first post, but what is the firewall forward kit?

Av8r3400
08-02-2018, 04:50 PM
In the airplane world, the firewall forward is referring to literally everything on the airplane from the firewall, forward. This includes the engine mount, the engine, the cowling, the propeller and all of the other support system components.

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Thank you. I guess I am confused, because the kitfox firewall forward (at least what I am able to determine) states that the engine in extra and from the looks of it, the prop as well. I did not seem to find any info on exactly what was included in the firewall forward kit listed on their site.

I am just trying to add up costs and it seems with the kit at about 25k and a motor at about another 20k, I would have thought everything would be included between the kit and motor costs.

Av8r_Sed
08-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Avionics and lighting will also add some cost. ...and paint.

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Exactly. I have been researching those as well. It seems like it would be close to 60k for everything if I can find and build it on a reasonable budget.

ken nougaret
08-02-2018, 07:12 PM
The firewall forward kit is separate because it will vary on which engine you decide to install. I think Kitfox offers more engine options than any other kit plane.

rv9ralph
08-02-2018, 07:57 PM
For pricing and what is included, check the Kitfox Aircraft Parts Catalog. The Firewall forward kit does not, as previously stated, include the engine. The cost and contents of the Firewall Forward depends on which engine selection you make. You will find this practice common among all kit manufacturers.

Ralph

tjentzsch
08-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone.

I think when I get close, I will get the 912 100hp motor, unsure about the fuel injected version. Carbs seem more reliable and easier to maintain????

efwd
08-03-2018, 07:56 AM
hmmm, seems I used the exact opposite rational for why I purchased the fuel injected 912. Possibly misguided Ill admit but I just haven't heard too much from any folks who are flying the 912iS while carb balancing has been a large subject here.

tjentzsch
08-03-2018, 08:50 AM
I guess I was figuring carbs similar to what I have experience with on car, and other small powered vehicles.

But, I think you are right, FI is probably the way to go.

efwd
08-03-2018, 09:52 AM
The difference lies in the fact there are two carbs on the 912uls and they need to be maintained individually and tweaked to work in harmony with one another. Don't let my words dissuade you. I know many folks here have said that balancing, when done by the book, is not difficult and their motors run sweet.
P.S. pretty significant cost increase for the 912iS too.

tjentzsch
08-03-2018, 10:12 AM
So I just did a little research. This kit: http://webshop.edgeperformance.no/index.php?id_product=440&controller=product

would be cheaper then buying the 912iS from kit fox. The difference between the 912ULS and 912iS listed on KF site is 3,583 while the conversion kit (if my currency exchange was done correctly) would cost only ~1700

If this all holds up, not a bad savings do put the kit on ones self.

aviator79
08-03-2018, 07:09 PM
There are several people using the Edge FI kits with good results. I bought my engine (non-FI I'm afraid) from Thomas at Edge, and while I haven't run it yet, my experience with Edge has been top-notch.

PaulSS
08-03-2018, 09:07 PM
I think one of the only snags with the Edge conversions is that they void the Rotax warranty.

Eurofox has a 120hp Rotax flying and it is doing a great job as a glider tug. I did look at the numbers and the performance results they were getting but decided to chicken out and go with the stock 912iS for mine.

No choke, no carbs, no carb icing made the choice an easy one for me. I like wires more than I like tinkering with carbs :)

tjentzsch
08-03-2018, 09:11 PM
I think one of the only snags with the Edge conversions is that they void the Rotax warranty.

Eurofox has a 120hp Rotax flying and it is doing a great job as a glider tug. I did look at the numbers and the performance results they were getting but decided to chicken out and go with the stock 912iS for mine.

No choke, no carbs, no carb icing made the choice an easy one for me. I like wires more than I like tinkering with carbs :)

Agreed. After research, and more research, I have come to the conclusion that I will be getting the FI as well.