PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Kitfox News

jrevens
04-09-2017, 11:06 AM
We had a wonderful visit for a few days from a couple of my heroes in the Kitfox world - Lowell Fitt ("Highwing") and his lovely wife Kay from California, and Mark Ferkin (builder of multiple Kitfox aircraft, and others) from Idaho. My buddy Stan Specht ("sourdostan") hosted them at his home. We had a lot of fun traveling around to see the builders of 4 other Kitfox projects (plus my own). We have quite a few projects as well as flying aircraft in the area... I can think of 12 off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. Thanks to everyone for making the last few days so enjoyable!

ejoern
04-09-2017, 12:00 PM
John, thanks so much for coming down to Colorado Springs. It was great to see you again and meet Lowell, Mark and Stan. Looking forward to seeing you all at Oshkosh!

Eric

HighWing
04-09-2017, 03:06 PM
It was great meeting the Colorado guys and seeing some fantastic projects. It was curious that the projects perfectly illustrated from almost new to almost finished. Earlier on the trip a visit to Homedale was a treat as I was able to chat with John and many of his staff and see some remarkable innovations.. Our next stop wil be K21d where we will meet Dave S. And see his flying SS. This will complete the builds of SSs from beginning to flying. A great sdventure!

DesertFox4
04-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a great trip Lowell. :) I heard Kay is now retired. Congrats to Kay.

Had lots of fun at your fly ins Lowell. The good old days.

Hope to see some of the gang at AirVenture this year.

HighWing
04-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks ,Steve,
You mentioned Kay retiring. Yes, last September - 44 years at United Airlines as a flight attendant. It got me thinking. A quick calculation adjusted for vacation days, taxi time and other non in flight time, suggests about 27,000 flight hours and a little over 13 million miles plus at least once exceeding the speed of sound : -)

DesertFox4
04-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Those are incredible numbers Lowell. 13 million miles and 44 years with one company. Amazing career and that is a lot of time away from home.

efwd
04-11-2017, 07:45 AM
That's a pretty good explanation for making the marriage last this long. ;)

HighWing
04-11-2017, 07:55 AM
That's a pretty good explanation for making the marriage last this long. ;)

Still laughing. I tell people we have been married 37 years going on 18.

Dave S
04-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Lowell & Kay made it to "Minnesnowta" following their adventures in Colorado. Fortunately the snow Monday night only amounted to one inch which disappeared on the second day of their visit. Monday was Kitfox day with Lowell and I seeing two KF V Aircraft based at 21D in addition to our S7. Our wives spent the later part of the day at the St Paul Conservatory (considerably more tropical).

My friend Eric was at the field and was completing his installation of his ADS-B system - that's the first red aircraft with the cowl off. Eric very generously provided me stick time in his Kitfox before I did my first flight in ours. I am very grateful to Eric for that and try very hard to pay it forward anytime I can help another person with their aeronautical interests.

Our next stop was at my hangar to have Lowell check out our S7.

Last Kitfox stop was was at friend Jim's hangar where he keeps his Model V. Jim's plane is unique in several ways. It is a light sport with a continental and has no electrical system - like the classic cubs so it is exempt from Class B Equipment. The airplane also has an aluminum gear which is noticeably longer legged than the more common grove aluminum gear. I understand this gear was available as an option over a limited period of time. Jim is also a person I am grateful to as he was kind enough to help me move my plane from the house, after it was completed, to the airport in some horribly cold weather - which turned to a nasty snow storm the next day (which I was working like to devil to beat).

Tuesday we visited another friend at a private airport who has classic airplanes including a Taylorcraft and a Fairchild - both of which were built long before I was born. (OK...no comments now about "I didn't know they made airplanes THAT long ago!");) The T-Craft was just getting it's annual completed, including the strut inspection.

One surprise we did not expect to experience was seeing a Beech Mentor land at the field ....I mean, a REALLY shiny polished Beach Mentor; and, then Julie Clark pops out of the canopy!....She just got back from Sun and Fun where she put on some fantastic air shows - guessing there were some kitfoxers attending the show who would have seen her perform. In the last photo, Julie is the person in the middle facing Lowell and Kay.

I'd like to thank Lowell for the honor of visiting with him and his wife; and, I keep thinking of the tremendous friendships we develop within our aviation interests...precious:)

jrevens
04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
That's a great report, Dave! I echo the sentiments of your last comment!

HighWing
04-12-2017, 07:32 PM
I too wish to echo Dave's last comment. I have often mentioned that I feel that our little airplanes are like magnets that attract really great people. Meeting some of the wives added to the enjoyment as well. One note on Julie Clark. After seeing her there it made me want to go out and buy a lottery ticket. Consider the odds. We were there, julie arrived while we were there from her performance at Sun n Fun and we were the first visiters to her home there in Minnesota from Cameron Park in California - her primary residence. We have been neighbors in Cameron Park for nearly 20 years.

efwd
04-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Well, I am looking forward to many years participating in this family myself. I'm sitting in Scottsdale, AZ on spring break and possibly will visit The Desert foxes again before I head home as I did last time. I'm sure I will meet you Lowell, Soon after I finish phase one and can get away from Corona, CA with my new ride.
Eddie

scottr
04-16-2017, 06:08 PM
I want to tell you guys thanks for visiting also, it was really nice to meet Lowell and Mark, I'm glad you stopped by and visited us Colorado Kitfox builders. Thank you Stan for hosting them and arranging the visits too. As you guys said it sure is great to talk and visit with other Kitfox builders and pilots. I'm glad too that John, Gary and Stan are close by and in the area to help me with all my build questions. It sure is a great community of people!

efwd
04-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Amen to that. I had the good fortune of catching Desertfox1 and 4 at the skunkworks shop Saturday morning. They have got so much to offer and I appreciate the words of encouragement and offers of assistance they provided. The Carbon fiber cowlings are a sight to behold and so damn light!. I got to see a Kitfox depart Chandler on Thursday while I had my boys out for an aerobatic flight in a Great Lakes. It was pretty cool to see it depart and it just added to the fire to get this thing in the garage moving in that direction. I can't wait!
Eddie

DesertFox4
04-16-2017, 07:36 PM
It was good to see you again too Eddie. Glad you and the boys could drop in.

HighWing
04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Kay and I arrived home yesterday evening feeling exhausted after a tad over 4000 road miles. All in all worth every one of then many times over. We saw some fantastic scenery but overshadowed by the fantastic people we met. Because of Mark’s busy schedule, he rode with me to the Denver area, where Kay met me to continue the trip. We then went on to the St. Paul area of Minnesota. Then homeward bound we did some sightseeing at Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower then a stop for a visit with family in Casper, Wyoming then home.
Seeing the S7SSs in different stages of completion was great along with meeting the builders and in some cases their wives - those precious souls that will give us a hug after a frustrating day on the build and a high five after that complex system lights up on the first try – still waiting for that one. Not only that, but they often show special talents and skills of their own. All this made for a great trip!!
Some comments on this thread remind me that we live here in a residential airpark. I would be more than happy to host any and all visitors who might want to come and see this part of California. We are definitely not the hot bed of builders that the Denver area demonstrated, but we do have some projects nearby, some great people and some great scenery. Drive in or fly in and you will have a place to stay.

(on the George Washington picture, it looked like a teen age blemish on his lip. Had to check it out with my new lens.)

jrevens
04-17-2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks for posting the nice pictures, Lowell ! I hope we will be able to fly to Cameron Park some day in the not too distant future. Thanks again from me to you, Kay and Mark for making the long trip... it was a special few days for me. My thanks to my Kitfox buddies around here also - Stan , Gary , Rick, James & Quentin (I hope I spelled your name right Quentin!), Paul, Eric, and Jeremy. Some day we'll probably have a pretty good sized Kitfox Air Force here to protect the State from marauding RVs (or maybe Highlanders? :D) ... they've already invaded, so I guess marauding is maybe the next step.

The first picture is Gary and Stan looking at Gary's 7SS. #2 - Stan, Paul, & Mark at Gary's also. #3 - Stan, Mark & me with my project. #4 - Stan, Mark & Eric looking at Eric's 912is installation. #5 - Another shot of the 912is. #6 - last but not least, Mark, Stan, Eric, me & Jeremy with his project. What a fun couple of days!

The picture of George is good Lowell - I've never seen him that close, although I got pretty close in my airplane many years ago. Circled Devil's Tower a few times too! Glad everyone got home safe!

DesertFox4
04-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Sounds and looks like a fun trip. Looks like Colorado is doing a first rate job of expandimg the Kitfox fleet.

colospace
04-18-2017, 07:35 AM
Lowell, I'll just echo John's comments; it was super to have you all visit. My wife and I look forward to when we can be traveling by Kitfox rather than car.

HighWing
04-18-2017, 09:53 AM
A word of caution for those loading up their bucket lists. Don't wait until you are an old man. Two days after returning and I am finally getting my wind back.

I wanted to post a few more photos that were recorded on my phone.

Thanks again to those who opened their homes and hangars!

efwd
04-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Hey! how did you get all your pics to be oriented correctly Lowell?
Eddie

HighWing
04-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Hey! how did you get all your pics to be oriented correctly Lowell?
Eddie

I don't have a clue and I mean that. I just spend $180 on a new battery for my string trimmer only to find out that the four flashing red lights means fully charged rather than fully dead. Red You say?

I have a profound respect for the flat panel guys, the 912IS guys and the already installed ADS-B guys. Just call me Lucky