PDA

View Full Version : Jury strut fairings

Jerrytex
03-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Anyone done the Jury Strut fairings? Just looking for suggestions, pics, ideas. I have the plastic clamp on ones and I was messing around with them to see how best to put them on. I have had them for years as a friend gave them to me and finally getting around to putting them on. They don't clamp tight on the tubing. I sliced a piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing and wrapped it around the jury strut tubing and it appears to be the perfect size now for the channel in the fairing. If I think about it, I'll take some pics. I guess the other questions is....is it even worth putting them on? I have seen the video and know how much drag is created by round tubing but I wonder if it's even worth the effort for the amount of jury strut.

TJay
03-06-2017, 06:30 PM
I would like to see a pic of those and wondering where a guy buys them?

Jerrytex
03-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Not sure where to buy these. They are molded as one piece and you slice the trailing edge open to get it around the tubing.

I'll probably use some marine adhesive to hold them on and then just fill the spaces with something. Paint and call it good. They are super light.

Flybyjim
03-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Challenger aircraft supplies these with their kits. Quad City Aircraft.

SSFoxBuilder
05-01-2017, 09:41 PM
They sell them in 5 ft pieces for $33.96, so I ordered one to see how it'll work with the horizontal stabilizer supports.

They are designed for 1/2 inch tubing, but their customer support believes it'll work up to 3/4 inch.

PapuaPilot
05-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Let us know how it works out on the horizontal stab support.

Does anybody know what material they are made from?

RadialFox7
05-02-2017, 04:35 PM
I used them on my horizontal stab brace and tho tight I didn't have to split them like I did for 2 of the three rods on the jury struts that I faired. I just slid them on with a little water for lube. Once dry, a dab or two epoxy on either end and a little Super-fil, scuff and paint..... These plastic fairings were a pain to cut accurately on the trailing edge but Super-fil to the rescue!!! There were some molding ridges that I carefully sanded smooth before splitting - nothing more coarse than 150 grit....... open coat.... I think they turned out great - I'll post a pic later.

Jerrytex
05-05-2017, 10:21 AM
I discovered that using a piece of split 3/8" clear vinyl tubing to make up the thickness on the jury struts will work. The fairings definitely are hard to cut accurately and the superfil is a good idea that I hadn't thought about. Guess I was concerned that it wouldn't stick to the plastic and also the possibility of cracking?

Esser
06-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Is there a website for ordering? Or do you have to call?

Anyone see any improvements? The horz. stab struts are at least worth doing I think.

jiott
12-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Has anyone found a source for plastic fairings similar to the Quad City ones, but sized for the 3/8" jury strut tubing? I am putting the Quad City fairings on my horizontal stab struts, but think they are just too big for the jury struts.

avidflyer
12-19-2017, 06:05 PM
I would think about using aluminum trailing edge material for the fairing. Sorry, can't post a link with this tablet. ACS and Wicks both sell it. It's 10' long, but I know ACS will cut it for free to ship cheaper JimChuk

HighWing
12-20-2017, 12:33 PM
If anyone is interested. Working to keep empty weight under control, I made some jury strut and horizontal stabilizer strut fairings - Model IV. I checked and still have the tooling - Picture - with two samples.

They are made one at a time of a single layer of light weight fiberglass cloth finished with peel ply for a satin surface. They are open at the trailing edge and are applied with a little epoxy adhesive near the strut to hold position and a bead at the trailing edge. They are soft to the touch and the 20 inch sample I have weighs 1.005 oz. I did a little calculation - materials and time and unless life gets too much crazier than it is, I think I could make them up for $12.25 each or the six for the Jury Struts for $73.50. Pricey I realize, but I don't have an extrusion device that just squirts them out.

Pic during Phase 1 at Lincoln Municipal showing the fairings on my Model IV and one of the Dan Denney designed Thunder Mustangs doing the same.

Esser
12-20-2017, 12:37 PM
I would take a set Lowell

jrevens
12-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Those are beautiful, Lowell... very nice!

RadialFox7
12-20-2017, 04:54 PM
I put them on the jury struts and I think they turned out great. I did split a 1 inch length of nylon tube with a 3/8 id. and used a dab of silicone to adhere it to the jury strut which made a sized tube for the fairing material.

HighWing
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
I would take a set Lowell

I will need to order some materials and will let you know when they are ready to ship.

Esser
12-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Sounds good. No rush

bholland
12-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Lowell, If possible I would also like a set. I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Thanks, Brett

JoeRuscito
02-26-2020, 06:54 AM
Hey Lowell got your PM. Looks like your inbox is full so I cannot respond.