PDA

View Full Version : Trip to High Valley Resort in Suches, GA: Oct 9-12

FlyboyTR
08-20-2008, 07:53 AM
We are planning a trip to High Valley Resort and would like to extend an invite to anyone on the Forum that is interested. The dates are October 9-12 (Thursday – Sunday). The website is www.highvalleyresort.com . I encourage you to take a look at this place!

High Valley Resort is nestled in the mountains of North GA. Suches, GA to be exact. It is the highest populated valley in GA. The identifier is GA87. The runway is grass, 2,000’ long and the field elevation is 2,800’ MSL. On the east and west side of the runway are mountains that rise about 1,200’ above the runway. There are larger mountains on the north and south ends as well…but there is more distance between the runway and elevated rock! Counting last year…we have made 5 trips to HVR. Tent camping is also available without reservations. I just received an email from Lucia Perez at HVR letting me know that there are several other cabins (Bearcat, Piper & Cub) available at this time. It is…first come…first served! We have a cabin “The Husky” reserved and it is now full. Should you call HVR and talk to Lucia…please mention my name. She knows me/us well! They have 6 large log cabins (sleep 6-8) and 4 bunkhouses (single room log cabin with two twin beds…you use the camping shower/toilet facilities). They do a “great” job with maintaining the restrooms and everything else.

We live in Mobile, AL and fly out of a private strip that is 15 miles south of Mobile Downtown Airport (BFM). Our plan is to depart Mobile either late Wednesday afternoon, fly part way and finish the trip on Thursday morning…or just leave really early Thursday morning and fly direct. Wednesday the 8th is our 20 wedding anniversary…so our plans for the 8th are still a little foggy! I’ve leaving that up to Kathy…and yes…It’s been a wonderful 20 years! :) If we fly out on Wednesday, we will either spend the night at Monroeville, AL (MVC) and eat Catfish for dinner, or Alexander City, AL (ALX)…and eat Catfish for dinner. Both are good choices. ...sort of a theme going on there!:o

We currently have 7 confirmed from our area. That will possibly grow. Below are our activity plans. You are welcome to join us or do your own thing.

Thursday afternoon we will drive over to Helton Creek Falls and play in the water and conclude the day with a cookout. Bring your own piece of meat and we’ll add some seasoned green beans and garlic bread to round it out.

Friday we will head out early for the Nantahala Gorge. From there, www.noc.com we will tackle the forces of the Nantahala River via our inflatable kayaks. A day on the river certainly calls for a “low country boil” for dinner. We’ll season up the bucket with crab boil, garlic, some dirty socks…and other proprietary ingredients…then throw in some taters, onions, more garlic, sausage, shrooms (mushrooms) and whole green beans. We’ll throw it out on the table with some melted butter and dig in. Sorry…no forks allowed!

Saturday is open for flying somewhere. There is a “working museum” in Sevierville, TN we may fly to. One person in our group is wanting to do some panning for gems so we have several options to choose from for the day. We will finish off the evening with dinner at either Lenny’s or the Mexican restaurant.

Sunday we will head for home.

If you would like more info please feel free to email or PM me. I will include a few pictures.

Travis:D