PDA

View Full Version : Belly Fabric Forward Tube Wrap- Series 5

N14ND
02-01-2017, 03:26 PM
The forward tube for the fabric wrap is the aft end of the rudder pedal plywood. The manual doesn't have much on it. The picture in the 2003 manual (fig C-2) shows the plywood in place. What's the consensuses as to how to do this area? Remove the rudder pedal attachments and plywood- wrap.... or leave in place and wrap as far as possible?
Everything is fitted at this moment. Cables/springs/brake lines.
Thanks.
Andy

jrevens
02-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Hi Andy,

I was able to get what I considered an adequate wrap in that area without removing the floorboard. I think I carefully lifted up the rear edge of that floorboard and "blocked" it up with popsicle sticks, or something like that, in order to get a good 270 deg. wrap. Since I used Oratex, it may have been a little more tricky because of iron access to apply heat & pressure... that's where my small model airplane covering iron came in handy. With Polyfiber it should be pretty easy.

jtpitkin06
02-01-2017, 08:55 PM
No need to remove anything but it does help to loosen the floorboard screws to tuck the fabric around the tubes and get a good wrap. As long as the screws are loose it is a good time to install the firewall extension mounting clips if you haven't done so already.

John P

N14ND
02-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks, guys. I can get the outboard rudder pedal attach bracket loose, but the inboard is not so much. Not without removing everything. The aft screw is way more difficult to get to with the brake cylinders installed. I can get under the plywood floorboard though. :) Andy

oldfox
02-02-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm doing the same job right now and had the same question . I'm going to pre fit the fabric first and then install floor boards and then finish covering belly wish me luck. PS Andy did you make the floor your self

jrevens
02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I can get the outboard rudder pedal attach bracket loose, but the inboard is not so much. Not without removing everything. The aft screw is way more difficult to get to with the brake cylinders installed. I can get under the plywood floorboard though. :) Andy

That sounds good, Andy. I didn't have to loosen anything, just blocked the board up a little like I said... the floorboard was flexible enough to allow that.

kitfoxrk
02-02-2017, 05:47 PM
No need to remove anything but it does help to loosen the floorboard screws to tuck the fabric around the tubes and get a good wrap. As long as the screws are loose it is a good time to install the firewall extension mounting clips if you haven't done so already.

John P

John P - What are the firewall extension mounting clips you are referring to? I don't recall seeing any reference to them in my build manual. A pic, if you have one would be nice!
Bob K