PDA

View Full Version : What battery type do you run?

beeryboats
01-30-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm in the market for a new batter for my IV. The old one sat for 10 years and just won't take a charge for some reason:D. My old one was a wet cell. I assume everyone is using glass matt these days?

n85ae
01-30-2017, 06:59 PM
I have been using a Scorpion the last couple years. Out cranks the Oddyssey PC-680 it replaced.

Jeff

ken nougaret
01-30-2017, 08:27 PM
I've been using the odessey 680 for 3 months. Its behind the pilot seat and cranks an o200 very well.

jiott
01-30-2017, 08:52 PM
I have been using the Aerovoltz Li-Fe battery for 3.5 years. It has been great; no need to trickle charge it-it holds a full charge for 2 months (I have heard they will hold charge for a year or more). A full 10 lbs lighter than a gell cell. I will be replacing it one of these days with the newer EarthX Li-Fe battery with built-in cell balancing and over-voltage protection. There are some cons to these type of batteries: when they run down it happens quick without much warning; some folks are afraid of fire but the Li-Fe is much safer than the Li-Ion. I believe the positives greatly outweigh the negatives in my personal opinion.

DesertFox4
01-30-2017, 09:31 PM
I've had an Aerovolt set aside for my 7 Super Sport. It occupied a space on my closet shelf for two years prior to installing it in my Kitfox project. It sat so far another 8 months after installing it and still held a charge even after enduring a pretty hot Phoenix summer. I figured I would be buying replacement for sure but after balance charging this one it came up to full charge and is looking healthy according to the chargers diagnostics. Love the weight savings.:)

Av8r3400
01-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Another vote for the "old school" Odyssey 680.

I went flying this past Sunday and had no problem cranking up my big bore 912 even though the plane has sat for several weeks in an unheated hangar in Northern Wisconsin temps.

neville
01-31-2017, 07:18 AM
I use the Earth-X with internal battery management system in my SS7 with 912iS engine. Never any problem with it. I used the Aerovotz 16 cell prior to the Rotax mandate that 912iS must use a battery with internal battery management. (no warranty otherwise).

Dave S
01-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Beeryboats

I am using the odyssey PC-680. I do have a dual electrical system with a cross tie so one 680 is on the firewall and the other is behind the Pilot's seat. ....8 years running and the voltage under load (cranking) and after sitting is still right where it started when both were new. The voltage under cranking load tells a person somewhat how a batteries capacity is holding up. Odyssey has a specification for what the voltage should be when it is sitting and not connected to a system.

This weekend the weather gremlins were asleep and I fired up the kitfox after sitting in the hangar for 2 months (the plane...not me; and, yes I am ashamed the plane sat that long!) and it started right up like it was last run yesterday....and that is without a battery minder during the hiatus.:)

Don't ever waste your money on a knock off AGM battery from batteries minus......they are crap in my limited experience.:(

I think your experience with the wet cell is about what a person can expect from them.:(

jrevens
01-31-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm using a Deka ETX-14, which is what Kitfox supplied in my kit. It is also an AGM unit, made in the U.S.A. 220 cca. They have a state of charge chart based on unconnected voltage also. I priced them recently, and they are as low as $68 online. My thought is that with an SS7 & a Rotax, a little more weight forward of the firewall is probably good from a w&b standpoint. Putting that weight in the form of an inexpensive, readily available "motorsport" battery like the Deka makes sense to me. It's a little smaller & 4 lbs. lighter than the PC680. Hope it's going to work out OK.

I finished all the wiring on the airplane and my instrument panel yesterday... a milestone! I'm ready to do a partial "smoke test" today... probably post some pictures on my thread sometime soon.

Paul Z
01-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Inexpensive & gets the job done.

Kitfox Guy
01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Another vote for the "old school" Odyssey 680.

I went flying this past Sunday and had no problem cranking up my big bore 912 even though the plane has sat for several weeks in an unheated hangar in Northern Wisconsin temps.

Odyssey 680, mine lasted 15 years, before I had to replace it!

Guy Buchanan
01-31-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm running a Powersonic AGM. Thought about going to Lithium but didn't feel it was quite ready for prime time. Sounds like the EarthX may be there so I'll probably make the change.

ohlhausenr
01-31-2017, 02:27 PM
I also have the Aerovolt and have had no problems. I did purchase the balance charger with it which I recommend.

beeryboats
01-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Wow! Thanks guys. I never realized batteries had that many options. I've got a 582 under the hood and the battery hangs on the inside of the firewall. Why he didn't put it outside with the engine is beyond me. It looks like a huge mess to move so it's going to stay where it is.

kmach
01-31-2017, 07:32 PM
I have used the Deka. I switched to an EarthX in 2015 when I was doing an engine swap and the Deka was getting a little weak. I like both, I really like the light weight and power of the EarthX, but not the price.

Jerrytex
02-01-2017, 09:35 AM
I'll throw this out there. I used an odyssey PC 625. I only got 6 years (124 Hours) out of it. I took it in to Batteries plus and they convinced me that I could get 3 or 4 more years out of it if I kept it trickle charged so I spent the $30 for a "good" trickle charger and have not had any luck. It charges to 13.6 and as soon as you take the charger off, you can watch the voltage steadily drop down to 11.25. Guess its trashed. I'll probably go back with the same one since the battery tray and and everything is set up for it.

Dave S
02-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Jerry,

Your 625 could have simply been a bad individual battery....The voltage should not drop off like that once the charger is disconnected..a healthy battery will hold the voltage even after a significant storage time has elapsed (I believe resting voltage is one of the routine tests Odyssey recommends to monitor condition.)

n85ae
02-01-2017, 11:01 AM
The Odyssey PC-680 is a good/ok battery, but it is not great. They were the fad
for a while, but honestly the newer batteries from their competition are better.
The Scorpion for example I replaced mine with, spins my IO-240B noticeably
faster than the PC-680 ever did. I hear lots of good things about the Earthx

I'm not hooked on Scorpion, BUT mine is better than the PC-680 in my
application

Jeff

Jerrytex
02-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Which Scorpion Battery?

n85ae
02-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Box, paperwork and battery are out at the hangar but pretty sure it's this one.

http://www.scorpionbattery.com/powersports-batteries/yt51913-22.html

It's 255 CCA, versus 170 for the PC-680, which is noticeable. It's very close,
but not exactly the same size. So I did end up tweaking my battery box a bit.
Which was pretty simple, and probably less than a half dozen cuts and
scratches to do (so a simple Kitfox upgrade).

Price was better than the PC-680 also. I would buy another one.

Jeff

RadialFox7
02-09-2017, 07:10 AM
If you're interested I have a new Odyssey PC625-P that I'm not going to use. $50 and its yours.... PM me for more info....Dave

beeryboats
02-09-2017, 06:15 PM
PM sent. Thanks!

beeryboats
02-10-2017, 06:34 PM
If you're interested I have a new Odyssey PC625-P that I'm not going to use. $50 and its yours.... PM me for more info....Dave

Dave, did you receive my PM?
Jay

beeryboats
02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Looks like the PC625-p is going to be too thick. I need to double check the box dimentions but the old battery was 5-3/4 x 6-3/8 x 3-1/8".

Ok, I walked out to the barn, Brrr, and the only wiggle room I have is up to 3-1/2" up from the 3-1/8" in the width. I don't really want to change out the box as I'm not sure how the builder bolted it in there! Most likely he hid the nuts behind the quilted firewall cover.

Just read this thread again and it looks like all you guys are running 912's. I don't know if my little 582 needs that kind of cranking power. I ran a cross ref on the battery that came out and it is only 140 cold cranking amps. Does that sound about right? I can't find any info anywhere on min cranking amps for the 582.

rosslr
02-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Hi Jay,

Earth X has already been suggested but not sure why you wouldn't us on?

cheers

r

beeryboats
02-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Hi Jay,

Earth X has already been suggested but not sure why you wouldn't us on?

cheers

r

Is the Earth X a LiPo? I use LiPo batteries for my Rc planes and I only trust them as far as I can throw one. :eek:

Av8r3400
02-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Was mounted in a 582 powered Avid. I'll keep my Odyssey PC680, thanks.

jiott
02-16-2017, 08:05 PM
EarthX is a lithium-iron (Li-Fe), much safer than a Li-Po in spite of some examples otherwise. Many are flying now.

efwd
02-16-2017, 09:45 PM
what would happen if you strapped your battery in very firmly? Maybe too tight? Looking at AV8R3400's photo this comes to mind given the wear/melt location. Honestly, I don't know the answer.
Eddie

jiott
02-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Do a search for EarthX and you will find several other threads discussing this kind of battery.

efwd
02-17-2017, 08:02 AM
You know what? My Rotax warranty is void if I use anything but the EarthX.
Eddie

efwd
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
I looked at the AVIDflyer site where that photo's owner posted it. Reading that thread reveals quite a controversy over Lithium batteries of any type. EarthX has two pretty interesting posts there. I'll stick with the EarthX.
Eddie

jrevens
02-17-2017, 11:00 AM
If you're going to use Lithium, I think that EarthX with its integrated BMS is one the best and probably the best choice at this time. The big issue in my mind is whether to go to that type at all. The picture posted by Av8r3400 is very telling concerning the increased risks potentially associated with the type, at least at this point in time. I too am opting for an AGM type, not only for that reason but also because I believe the extra weight on the firewall will actually be useful for my particular weight & balance situation.

jiott
02-17-2017, 01:20 PM
That's what so nice about experimental, you can do what you want and feel comfortable with. I will probably go with EarthX when it is time to replace my AeroVoltz Li-Fe. 3.5 years now with the AeroVoltz (no BMS system) and no problems and never a need for a trickle charger.

jrevens
02-17-2017, 10:55 PM
That's what so nice about experimental, you can do what you want and feel comfortable with. I will probably go with EarthX when it is time to replace my AeroVoltz Li-Fe. 3.5 years now with the AeroVoltz (no BMS system) and no problems and never a need for a trickle charger.

Right on, Jim! Well said. BTW, the "old technology" gel cell lead acid batteries that I use in my Thorp have always lasted at least 6 or 7 years, and I never have to put a trickle charger on them either... sometimes have gone several months between flights over the 26 years since I built it. Always starts that "big" Lycoming right up, anytime of the year.

JohnB
05-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Has anyone else gotten an email from Kitfox recommending to discontinue use of the Aerovoltz battery immediately?
Just wondering what the reason for this is?

jiott
05-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Yes I got that email from Kitfox. Apparently they have heard about an incident or two with Aerovoltz batteries, probably overcharging or uneven cell charging since Aerovoltz has no built-in charging management system like the EarthX. They are offering a good deal to replace your Aerovoltz with the EarthX. I ordered it and received it today. It comes with a nice aluminum battery tray.
I haven't installed it yet and am still flying with my Aerovoltz since it has been working fine for me for almost 4 years. Kitfox is just trying to keep us safe and reduce their liability.

JohnB
05-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the info Jim,
I have also been very happy with the Aerovoltz battery so far but I guess I should give Kitfox a call and see what their offer is.

Floog
05-05-2017, 10:09 AM
I just got my (Aerovoltz replacement) Earthex yesterday. I wanted to mention that it came with LOTS of fasteners, too. Thanks, Debra and John!

I've had no issues with the Aerovoltz either. I plan to use it as a backup for EFI components. I'm thinking of mounting it somewhere in the cockpit so that I can just throw it out the door if it gets hot :)

efwd
05-05-2017, 12:01 PM
LOL. A spin off of the flower sack?

fastfred
10-23-2018, 02:28 PM
I have a 4 year old aerovoltz 16 on a 912. I ran the battery down to 10v the other day now I can't get it charged back up. Any suggestions?

aviator79
10-23-2018, 02:50 PM
EarthX lithium batteries are kind of the standard now. They are compact and light. Not the cheaest option though. https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx680c

jiott
10-23-2018, 03:11 PM
I had an Aerovotz lithium-iron battery and after 3.5 years one cell would not balance, even though I was using a balancing charger. So I replaced it with the EarthX from Kitfox and have been very happy with it. More cranking power, built-in cell balancing and safety circuitry, connection for a fault LED in the cockpit.

PaulSS
10-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Just as a point of interest, you can also use that same battery fault line to send a signal to your EFIS for a battery fault warning. Maybe the Garmin & Dynon units have a specific warning input but for the MGL EFIS I designed a fault warning light. When there is a fault the voltage drops to zero on that line, so it's a simple matter of telling the EFIS that 12V is normal but illuminate the warning when it drops below, for instance, 9V.

Just in case you have an EFIS and don't want another light in the panel but would like the warning.

efwd
10-24-2018, 06:32 PM
I bought a Battery warning light before I knew the EarthX battery can hook directly to my G3X. Fortunately I had not drilled another hole in the panel for it.