PDA

View Full Version : LODA may be possible for ELSA Kitfoxs?

alienwes
01-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Just read the Dec/Jan issue of powered sport flying. One article discussed how the EAA has been working with the FAA to allow LODA's for ELSA aircraft. Basically allowing people to give training in ELSA's. I know some Fox's are registered ELSA and some EAB. I dont think the EAB's woild be allowed to get a LODA but the ELSA will. Might make it easier in the future for those who desire to train to be able to and those needing flight training to find it. Just found it interesting.
Wes

Av8r3400
01-13-2017, 08:10 PM
There are some pitfalls to allowing an E-LSA have a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority - which allows flight instruction).

Once an aircraft is certificated E-LSA, the owner can then legally deviate off the manufacturer's specs, in essence becoming EAB. Where an S-LSA (which allows flight instruction) is very structured like a regular certified aircraft. It would be almost impossible for the FAA to control or track these deviations. This has always been the problem with commercial ops in an Experimental airplane of any type.

I would not bank on seeing this happen any time soon. Just my opinion.

alienwes
01-13-2017, 08:32 PM
May not happen very soon, but it would be nice. Glad the EAA is trying. Here is a link to what they want to do.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/10-20-2016-faa-releases-revised-loda-policy-for-public-comment