PDA

View Full Version : Started my engine today

Dorsal
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Just a random update, still lots to do but I am smiling today.

Some observations
Start was smooth, stopping was abrupt.
CHT never got over 200 deg (running 5-10 minutes at a time)
Did not go over 2500 RPM, got no registered charging from the regulator
Like my Dynon EMS
Would have taxied about the yard but don't have brakes yet:rolleyes:
Cheers

DesertFox4
08-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Dorsal, to eliminate the 912S's abrupt shut downs try setting the rpms to about 2500. Simultaneously as you shut off the ignitions pull the throttle to idle. If you coordinate this properly the 912S will come to a smooth stop. Congrats on the milestone. Flying soon follows.

Dorsal
08-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks Steve, I will definitely try that next time I run her up.
I will probably wait till I get the windshield on (next project) as it gets pretty blustery in the cockpit without it.
I also found two small coolant leaks on the lower fittings into the engine, have others had this problem and what did you use to seal them?

CDE2FLY
08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Glad the first start went well! Couple thoughts on the items you noted:

Are you running the external Rotax alternator? If so, be sure you have a 12 volt power source connected to the back of the alternator or it won't put out any juice.

If the coolant leak is coming from the water pump housing and you removed the pump at any time, be sure you have the "seal washer" on the correct housing bolt (bottom most as I recall) or it will leak. You have to look closely to distinguish it from the other "standard" washers associated with the bolts holding the pump housing on (yes...I speak from experiance on both of these issues). :)

Dorsal
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Fixed the alternator problem ..... I .. um .. forgot to ground the case, which doesn't happen naturally if you use that adel clamps to attach it :o
As for the smooth shut down I still need some practice, all I have managed to do so far is get a nice little back fire after the engine stops.
Still smiling :)

Also still have a coolant leak from the low left fitting to the coolant pump. Given it's proximity to the engine mount it is going to be a real pita to fix :mad: