PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Builders

Agflyboy
12-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Hello I'm new to this forum, looking for builders in Colorado that might have a completed Kitfox or in process of building a Kitfox that would be interested in showing me their project or airplane. I completed a RV8 back in 2001 that I still have and fly but am looking for something with a much slower landing speed so I could land and take off from my house that would be 700' spot in a pasture. I've never saw or sat in a Kitfox but its on my list to evaluate as well as Rans and Zentih 750. Looking for one I can see and touch before I fly out to the factory, if you are interested please send me a message.

Thanks

DesertFox4
12-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Welcome aboard Kevin. Give us a couple days for all the Colorado builders and owners to see your post. I think you'll be more than surprised by the quality of a Kitfox. Several of our members also own RVs and they enjoy owning both aircraft. I'm sure someone will be happy to show you their project or finished Kitfox. Good luck on your qwest for STOL.

ejoern
12-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Hello Kevin, I am in Colorado Springs building a Super Sport with the 912Is engine. I have most major components completed with the exception of panel/avionics which I am now working on. I would be happy to provide you a tour and answer any questions you have. I know of 3 other builders in the Colorado Springs/Monument/Denver area that may chime in as well.

Eric

my build site is: ericwj.wix.com/Colorado-kitfox

Jbeck
12-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi Kevin,

I'm currently in the process of building a Super Sport here in Monument. I'd say I'm maybe a third done and just starting to cover the wings. You're welcome to stop by anytime to see my project. You can also see my progress if you're on Facebook, the group page is N927AK.

Jeremy

Agflyboy
12-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Eric & Jeremy,

Thanks for the offer I'm hoping to set in one so might go with Eric since he seems to be further along.

Eric your looks like you've done excellent work thus far and spent a ton of time and effort on your project. How long until your ready to fly?

Thanks,

ejoern
12-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi Kevin,

Let me know when you have some time to head over to Colorado Springs for a tour. I would suggest taking a look at Jeremy's project as well since that way you can see two projects in different stages of construction. Jeremy only lives 15-20 minutes from my house. I hope to be in a hangar at Meadowlake airport come spring, then not too long after that be in the air.

Eric

Agflyboy
12-21-2016, 05:39 AM
Eric,

I'll make it down some weekend, but will probably be after the 1st of the year. I will send you a message several days in advance so we can find a time convenient for you.

Thank!

jrevens
12-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Hi Kevin,

Sorry I haven't responded about this sooner. I'm in the Arvada area of Denver and building a 7 SS. It's really quite well along, & like Eric it is possible it will be flying this coming Summer. I've been a little overwhelmed with medical problems that my wife has, so the fox project has dragged on longer than I had expected. You're very welcome to stop by - there are several Kitfox in this area. You're way East of here... wish I could fly it over to you!

Agflyboy
12-21-2016, 01:33 PM
John,

Is your project at an airport or working on it at home? I get to Denver more often than I do the Springs.

Thanks

jrevens
12-21-2016, 03:29 PM
It's at home... garage, basement shop, and generally all over the house! :rolleyes:

efwd
12-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Hey, just be warned. We have all been looking at John's build and if you go there you may become discouraged after seeing it for yourself. He seems to be using NASA level build criteria. LOL. We all wish we could build like him.
Eddie

DesertFox4
12-21-2016, 06:43 PM
John, hope your wife is going to be OK.

And yes, John's building skills are top shelf.

jrevens
12-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Eddie and Steve - you guys will give me a reputation I can't live up to. Thank you for the nice compliments. Kevin - pay no attention to these guys!

I had a '48 Plymouth when I was young... shoehorned a 283 Chevy V8 & the drive train from a '59 station wagon and a Spark-O-Matic floor shifter in it. It had a few dents. It wasn't a real pretty car (original paint even!) but it was a real sleeper for driving around Butte, Montana. It also had a back seat as big as my living room sofa. I think my Kitfox will be a little like that - it won't be showy, but it'll be solid.

avidflyer
12-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Hey John, when were you in Butte Mt? I was working there in 1973 and 74 building houses and Fairmont Hot Springs Resort. Jim Chuk

jrevens
12-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Hi Jim,

I lived in Butte from 1964 into 1973 when my wife & I moved to Denver (she was born & raised in Butte).

Fairmont (used to be called Gregson Hot Springs) was a fun place to go when we were young.

Paul Z
12-22-2016, 01:48 PM
I've seen photo's of some of your work, I know photo's always look better than real life. However, your photo's are very, very, very impressive, if I could do half as well I'd be grinning.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
Paul Z

Esser
12-23-2016, 01:07 PM
it won't be showy, but it'll be solid.

If yours isn't showy, mine is a bag of turds :p

Av8r3400
12-23-2016, 03:10 PM
If yours isn't showy, mine is a bag of turds :p

Then mine doesn't even have the bag... :eek:

jrevens
12-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Wow... I'm not sure what to say. The last 2 comments made me laugh, but I guess I should explain my "showy" comment. It was not only an attempt to be humble, but was truly a sincere comment. I'm a very detail oriented guy, but only about certain things. The scheme or look of my Kitfox will be very simple and "plain jane". It pales in comparison to so many of the truly beautiful ones. There are so many builders I know who not only build with fine detail and innovation, but also design & produce beautiful paint schemes and other details that truly make an airplane "showy". Stan Specht, the Desert Fox guys, Lowell Fitt, John McBean & his crew... I could go on and on. I guess that after concentrating on the details that are important to me I just kinda' run out of steam, evidently unlike so many other builders.

A quick story - years ago I designed & built a cabin heat box that was used on all kinds of aircraft all over the world. I had built several hundred & sold them through Aircraft Spruce & others, entirely by hand, until I got smart & had a buddy in California make some steel-rule dies & cut out the flat pieces for me. The design was perhaps a little fancier than it needed to be, and my friend said this to me - "John, you are not building a watch, you're building an airplane part". Anyway, that's just the kind of guy I am.

Av8r3400
12-24-2016, 01:28 PM
That reminds me of my good friend and mentor, Dave, who helped me greatly with the Mangy. He would grab me when I started going over the top with some little detail and say, "Hey, this is only an airplane! You ain't building a Church!!"

colospace
12-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Kevin, I have been down in Ft. Worth this week and just saw your post. I am in the Ken Caryl corner of the Denver area also building an tricycle gear S7 in my garage. All the covering is done (Oratex), engine (Rotax 912) is on and plumbed, cowlings are painted. About done with wingtip lighting mounting provisions and then will be figuring out my electrical (will be all Dynon which I have in the boxes). Like John's, mine will pretty simple looking; kind of goes with the Oratex. If you come over to see John's, come on down for twice the bang for the buck. And drag John down too since it has been a while since he has managed to get free.