PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh North Aircraft Display

jdmcbean
10-25-2016, 05:49 PM
We think we finally have an ear at EAA and have been offered to rename the North Aircraft Display to something that might be more appropriate and actually get it in the literature and finally on the map. Before you ask, EAA doesn't really like the North Aircraft Display as a name.. mainly because it doesn't reflect what is displayed... although some don't like the term Experimental or Homebuilt for the image that it portray's to the uninitiated...

Now be kind.. but we would like to solicit the groups ideas for a good name.

Looking forward to your responses...

efwd
10-25-2016, 07:06 PM
What do we have so far? Warbirds, Ultralights, Seaplane and ? Did the EAA not start referring to "homebuilts" as Custom Built years ago since homebuilt had that questionable connotation?. How's Airborne Customs?

Esser
10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
"The Bicycle Shop" as a homage to Wilbur and Orville creating in the space they had just as many of us do. In retrospect, I think that may just end up confusing people...

How about Kitplane Corner? Lots of people are used to the idea of Kit Cars and 99% of the manufacturers mostly sell kits instead of plans. Sounds more reputable than experimental or amateur built...

DesertFox4
10-26-2016, 07:08 PM
" Dreamland".:)

Av8r3400
10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
"So far away you need a golf cart to get there" :D

Av8r_Sed
10-27-2016, 05:43 PM
I'd call it Builder's Central.

Danzer1
10-27-2016, 06:22 PM
I'd go with Custom Built, Custom Craft or Custom Corner.

David47
10-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Constructors Road or Constructors Alley.

Clark in AZ
10-28-2016, 04:02 PM
"Experimentals"

Flybyjim
10-29-2016, 06:06 PM
I think this is great that John has put this question out there for all of us to consider. I am on a couple other kit plane forums and this has not appeared in any of those. Thanks John.

I do believe this could be the first step in a transition of some different view points of National EAA. I was at a leadership conference a while back at Oshkosh representing chapter presidents/leaders and the subject of the word Expermental was very much in the for-front of discussion. In Pauls early days this term expermental had a mystery and a true meaning and was embraced (as it should still) however with changes in peoples perspective and much more awarness of aviation in general I (my own personal thoughts here) think we will see the word expermental fade away in my life time. To make a point we had a Young Eagle rally today and the question came up from one of the parents about the difference between expermental or home built planes as to certified airplanes. As we explained the general differences we stressed the expermental is as good or better and safe or even safer than the certified plane as the builder knows ever part, piece of the plane he/she has built.
The parent understood the explaniation and accepted our statement but she still had a problem with her child in a plane classified as expermental. I have been flying for many years and have seen this shift slowly happening in the general public in my area. I live in central Pa. I may be all wrong here but I think I'm correct.

Anyway, thanks John for the oppertunity to chime in on the name changes, I am still pondering the question but will have a response in a few days.

Jim

DesertFox6
10-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Ooh, this is a good one; I've experienced the same grasping-to-grok stare at the word "Experimental" gracing the struts of my Speedster from some Young Eagles' parents at one time or another. I carefully grounded my answer around the disclaimer statement on the panel that says, "...This aircraft does not meet the construction criteria set for 'certified' aircraft...IT EXCEEDS THEM!" (Take THAT spam-canners!):D

I have to agree with Flybyjim's very astute observation that the word "experimental" may be trending a tad toxic to our cause in the eye of the general public with the NTSB's widely broadcast concerns for GA's flight safety record. With the current touchy-feely trend in political correctness favoring assuaging "public perceptions" by using pre-chewed pablum to soften the news, we might want to dip in that direction a bit to assuage their collective fear of a garage-built aircraft falling on their backyard bar-be-ques. The general press hasn't been helping us with half-baked torts of misinformation designed to curry headlines instead of rational thought either.

While I think DF4's suggestion of "Dreamland" really sets my hair on fire (remind me to tell you about the real "Dreamland, aka R-4808 N, in the middle of Nevada some time...) I'm thinking more along Danzer1's lines by stressing the "custom" aspect over anything "experimental" that the non-flying public (the poor sensitive dears) might feel uncomfortable with.

Emphasizing the academic/educational aspects of our vocation/avocation (the difference lies between the McBeans and the rest of us! ;)) would seem to garner a more sophisticated stance in the public's eye. To that end I would add "Custom Campus" to Danzer1's list. Either that or name the area in question the "Developmental Division."

And the rest of us can just wink and call it "Dreamland" anyway!

"E.T."

Dave S
10-30-2016, 05:47 AM
Good morning,

Good to get some more thoughts out here on this one.:)

I think it is real important for us to hold off judging any proposals for now....we need to get as many options voiced as possible and give John a looooong list to work with:)......time to keep thinking and have at it.

One item which might be worth keeping in mind is separating naming of the location from the terms experimental, EAB etc. as memorialized in rule and policy per the legal jargon the FAA has - we're never going to change that but we can rename our turf. We can better market our sport by using language we do have influence over which highlights the very positive contribution of the activity we find so fascinating and inspiring.

Tossing one into the ring......."Innovation Headquarters"

SkySteve
10-30-2016, 08:06 AM
A small group of local pilots, our A&P and an IA have been having mind twisting discussions over the past few months trying to come up with creative ways to increase our airplanes performance. After reading these posts I realized that's what most of us here at Teamkitfox are constantly doing. It's like an extended Flight Advancement Center. So here's some names to throw on the perverbial barn wall:
Flight Advancement Center
Advanced Flight Center
Center for the Advancement of Flight
Flight Technology Center (FTC)
Areo Technology Center (ATC)

OK, I'm out. My brain is now exploding. I'm going flying....

av8rps
10-30-2016, 07:34 PM
I like the idea of calling it the " Custom built" area. That title says it all in my opinion as it indicates they are aircraft built by someone, but custom built. So it makes one think of "High Quality" rather than "Experimental" which by comparison sounds unproven and dangerous.

That's my vote.

Paul Seehafer

airlina
10-31-2016, 01:19 AM
I like the idea of calling it the " Custom built" area. That title says it all in my opinion as it indicates they are aircraft built by someone, but custom built. So it makes one think of "High Quality" rather than "Experimental" which by comparison sounds unproven and dangerous.

That's my vote.

Paul Seehafer

You get my vote Paul , with "Custom built" , That phrase denotes quality when you hear it in other areas like homebuilding or furniture etc. It translates well to the public. Bruce N199CL

TahoeTim
11-01-2016, 06:27 AM
I keep thinking of "Lifetime Achievements" since it takes some of us so long to finish, if ever. :D Setting that joke aside, I tell many acquaintances that I build experimental airplanes and then fly them.

I see nothing wrong with "Experimental". It conjures up more than just dangerous. It also defines an area that is not the typical spam can even though many many experimental aircraft are difficult to sort from certified planes on looks alone. Don't forget what EAA stands for...

jdmcbean
11-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Great responses! Keep them coming.. The reason I posted this to the Kitfox Forum was simple.. We all own that space in one fashion or another.. It represents all of us..

So here is a compilation of what has been posted so far.. If I missed any let me know...

Airborne Customs
Bicycle Shop
Kitplane Corner
Dreamland
Builders Central
Custom Built
Custom Craft
Custom Corner
Custom Built Corner
Constructors Road
Constructors Alley
Experimentals
Custom Campus
Developmental Division
Innovation Headquarters
Flight Advancement Center
Center for the Advancement of Flight
Flight Technology Center
Aero Technology Center

SWeidemann
11-04-2016, 06:22 PM
I like Flight Technology Center, which implies serious commitment to science & technology resulting in a serious flying machine.

TahoeTim
11-05-2016, 06:28 AM
I looked over the list trying to put a couple of suggestions together and it hit me...

We register our planes as EAB and we are required to decal our creations with "Experimental". How about "EAB Experimental Aircraft Builders".

Rooster
11-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Here in South Africa, they are called Non Type Certified aircraft, I would therefore suggest you call it The NTC area.
New Technology Centre
New Types Centre
OR:
Aeronautical Progression Area
Progressive aviation Centre
Unique Design Centre
Progressive design Centre
Personal progression Centre
Personal Aviation Design
Modern Aviation Area
Modern Aviation Design-MAD:o
Personal Aviation Advancement/Progress
Personal Design Advancement

One could substitute Personal with Private in all the above.

Esser
11-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Can one of the mods add a poll to this thread?

TJay
11-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Guess I don't know what North Aircraft display is or where its at but It sounds like alot of LSA and Experimentals so how bout (LS Customs)

ken nougaret
11-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I think it needs to convey to the general public what is there. Therefore, "Kitplanes" makes the most sense to me.

rv9ralph
11-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Here is my thoughts on this. Last year the Ultralight area was renamed to the "Fun Fly Zone". I think EAA is now looking to find a similar naming to the traditional "homebuilders" area. So...
Throw this into the ring -
Custom Fly Zone
Custom Flight Zone
Custom Build Zone
Custom Air Acres

Ralph

neville
11-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Ralph has a good list . I would modify the last one to Custom Air Camp

rocketman2tm
11-08-2016, 08:29 AM
I think they might have an area called this already, but I would suggest Skunk Works.

kitfoxjim
11-08-2016, 11:04 AM
How about "Bucket List Row"