PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Speedster Help

Bob Brocious
10-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Folks, given the concerns raised with these 1992 tanks I've made the decision to replace both tanks (13 gal and 6 gal) and recover both wings. It will be a winter project I can do in my basement.

I'm looking for any builder's websites that I can reference on this journey. Any thoughts on what to replace the 25 year old fabric with, would also be appreciated. This will be all new to me, but I'm looking forward to getting to know "Dorothy" in a more personal way.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement thus far.

Best regards!

cap01
10-13-2016, 10:43 AM
hi bob, i did this a few years ago , there are some pics in my album. i originally had to early 6 gal tanks. i installed 13 gal tanks which required removing a rib and relocating the drag tubes. i did one wing tank one winter and the other wing the next winter . the two 6 gal tanks just wasn't enough gas for the way i fly.
i didn't remove all the fabric , just what i needed to do the job . although the wings had been covered in the 90s the plane had never been flown or completed and never in the weather .
before you ever start to cut the fabric off be sure to clean the new tanks as recommended and leak check the tanks . i did have a tank that leaked and i had to return it for repair or replacement . great people to deal with at kitfox.
feel free to ask if questions come up

kitfoxnick
10-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I've done three tank jobs so far. I just opened the tank bay and recovered that portion. Did the last one in two days. The new tanks are of much better quality. Sorry never took pictures.

cap01
10-14-2016, 11:05 PM
bob , click on the cap01 and you get a drop down menu . select the view public profile and the albums are at the lower right

Bob Brocious
10-15-2016, 05:21 AM
Nick, the wing covering is 25 years old. I'm thinking that now would be a good time to replace all of it.

kitfoxnick
10-16-2016, 08:52 AM
I can't argue with that. Im in the same boat, but I've gotten three years out of a two weekend repair. If you have the time, redo the wing. Time is precious for me and one day I'm going to have recover my plane.