PDA

View Full Version : VGs and FAA requirements

tx_swordguy
10-09-2016, 08:19 AM
I have been unable to find what would be required by the FAA to put Vortex Generators on my avid flyer. I know how to put them on, but since it would change the handling of the plane doesn't the FAA have to get involved somehow? Phase 1 for 5hrs? A&P sign off? Call them and find out or can I just put them on and go?
Mark

Av8r3400
10-09-2016, 08:33 AM
I have never heard of anyone needing any FAA intervention to add VGs to their plane.

A simple log book entry with your signature would suffice, IMO.

You will find that they will add very little if any performance on the top of the wing to your Avid. Under the horizontal stabilizer, maybe...

Dave S
10-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Mark,

I'd agree with Av8r3400 100%.......

Recall that if you are operating an experimental:

1) Its an experimental and this is certainly an experiment within the definitions of the special airworthiness certificate. I'd suspect a person would want to update their POH after it is determined what effect the VGs have on performance.

2) Anyone can work on an experimental.

To remove any lingering doubt, a person could call up their local FAA MIDO (Manufacturing inspection District Office)

Now, if it's a factory LSA....then the regs draw in the manufacturer and I believe there is a different set of requirements to satisfy.

Fly well,

tx_swordguy
10-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys that was the answer I was hoping for.

N981MS
10-12-2016, 05:23 AM
No need for an A&P. Anyone can work on an Experimental.

Not to be a stick in the mud but:
Your OP limits probably reference this:

§ 21.93 Classification of changes in

type design.

(a) In addition to changes in type design

specified in paragraph (b) of this

section, changes in type design are

classified as minor and major.

A

"minor change’’ is one that has no appreciable

effect on the weight, balance,

structural strength, reliability, operational

characteristics, or other characteristics

affecting the airworthiness

of the product. All other changes are
‘‘major changes’’

I think VGs would qualify as a "major change" to some at the FAA. Our FSDO (Atlanta) was easy to deal with on a prop and slat removal change. I called with our plan. 5 hours flight testing of climbs, descents, stalls, and handling at various load configurations in the typical geographic area. He took down our N Number and that was it. 5 hours later and a logbook entry and we were done. I am not sure if there is a specified amount of time so you might request less.

It is not a big deal unless you can't get the testing done before some planned long trip or passenger carrying.

FWIW
Maxwell

tx_swordguy
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM
That was what I was questioning. 5hrs is not a big deal so I can put it in phase 1 and fly it off with a log book entry and be ok? Sounds like a call to fsdo is in order.