PDA

View Full Version : Picking a prop

beeryboats
10-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Hi all,
I put a post on the props forum, but not much action over there. I have a model IV, 582, C gearbox. Old prop was a three blade woody. Looking for a composite prop, but confused by too many choices. Anyone have some input?

Norm
10-01-2016, 05:23 PM
The IVO prop is the easiest to adjust and a very smooth prop in a three blade configuration. I have run IVOs for almost 10 years and have always been happy. The Warp drive in a three blade configuration can give better performance and is tougher but might not be as smooth. Still a great prop.
My 2 cents
Those are the only props I have experience with.

beeryboats
10-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I was leaning toward the IVO but it's about the most expensive out there too.

jmodguy
10-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Beery
We should meet up. I am in Carmel and my model 5 project is at KUMP.
Always looking for local Kitfox owners to share ideas with.

Norm
10-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I was leaning toward the IVO but it's about the most expensive out there too.
The IVO ultralight is $660 US
The Warp is $865 for the three blade.
These are internet prices
I have used the IVO ultralight prop on my 582 C box for 6 or 7 years and it has worked well.

avidflyer
10-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Berry, Not sure where you are getting your prices, but where I've looked the IVOs are considerably less than the Warp Drive and the Power fin. I do know there is a 2 month minimum wait on the IVOs. I ordered an IVO a month ago, and it's still a month out. I've been playing with different props lately on a Kitfox, 582 B box. 2 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip gives better performance than 64" and a 68" three blade IVO props. The IVOs were a good bit smoother than the Warp drive though. I've got a 3 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip that I'm not using. I bought 3 new blades from a guy a few years ago, and I had a 3 blade hub. The blades have the leading edge protection. Not sure if I want to sell it though. What is your gear ratio in the C box? Jim Chuk

beeryboats
10-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Beery
We should meet up. I am in Carmel and my model 5 project is at KUMP.
Always looking for local Kitfox owners to share ideas with.

Yes! Let's get together. I've been looking for another owner locally. Shoot me a PM with your info.
Jay

beeryboats
10-01-2016, 07:07 PM
The IVO ultralight is $660 US
The Warp is $865 for the three blade.
These are internet prices
I have used the IVO ultralight prop on my 582 C box for 6 or 7 years and it has worked well.

I was looking at the next step up from the ultralight prop. I think it was about $1000.00.

beeryboats
10-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Berry, Not sure where you are getting your prices, but where I've looked the IVOs are considerably less than the Warp Drive and the Power fin. I do know there is a 2 month minimum wait on the IVOs. I ordered an IVO a month ago, and it's still a month out. I've been playing with different props lately on a Kitfox, 582 B box. 2 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip gives better performance than 64" and a 68" three blade IVO props. The IVOs were a good bit smoother than the Warp drive though. I've got a 3 blade Warp drive 70" taper tip that I'm not using. I bought 3 new blades from a guy a few years ago, and I had a 3 blade hub. The blades have the leading edge protection. Not sure if I want to sell it though. What is your gear ratio in the C box? Jim Chuk

Ratio? Good question. I'll have to take a look at the books. And as I said on an earlier response, I was looking at the next step up from the ultralight prop form IVO. About $1000.00.

avidflyer
10-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I doubt that you need to go with the medium prop. The ultralight model works fine on 912s and they have a good bit more power than the 582. Jim Chuk

beeryboats
10-02-2016, 04:42 PM
That's good news. The wife will like the lower price.

avidflyer
10-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Did you ever figure what gear ratio you have? I may not keep the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. It would work fine with a 2.58 or 2.62 ratio gearbox. JImChuk

beeryboats
10-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Did you ever figure what gear ratio you have? I may not keep the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. It would work fine with a 2.58 or 2.62 ratio gearbox. JImChuk

I went through all the paperwork and I see no mention of engine or gearbox. Can you believe that? The airframe log does indicate he changed the plugs every once in a while. But there is no engine log book. When I had the engine done I did get a book, but I'll be damned if I can find it tonight. Wife's filing system...

Is the ration stamped on the case anywhere? I've gone through my pre-teardown photos but see no data tag for the gearbox.

avidflyer
10-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Take a spark plug out, find top dead center on the piston with probe. Turn the prop through one revolution and count how many times the piston comes back to TDC. Most likely you have either a 3-1 or 2.62-1 gear ratio. A guy just posted an IVO prop on the AvidFoxFlyersForum. Not sure if you are a member there. Here is a link if it will let me do it. JImChuk http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4448-wanted-ivo-prop-3-blade-lh/

beeryboats
11-01-2016, 05:22 PM
I finally had the chance to work on the airplane tonight. I have never in almost 20 years had to mow the runway all the way into October. What a time waster. Anyway, the ratio is 3:1. And I'm still looking for help on a prop. Jim Chuk, you still have something?
Jay

avidflyer
11-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Not sure at this point. I'm waiting to get my 2 blade Warp back from the factory. I sent it there to be inspected and balanced. If it comes back good to go, I may sell the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. I also have a couple of 3 blade Warp drive props, but I'm not sure what I want to do with them yet. One is 70" taper tip, the other is 70" square tip. Jim Chuk

Norm
11-02-2016, 05:42 AM
I finally had the chance to work on the airplane tonight. I have never in almost 20 years had to mow the runway all the way into October. What a time waster. Anyway, the ratio is 3:1. And I'm still looking for help on a prop. Jim Chuk, you still have something?
Jay

I have a couple of props that I am going to sell as I did not use the 582 in my model IV. I have a warp 2 blade great shape but I could never get it to balance to my satisfaction. $300USD
I have a three blade Ultralight IVO that came with the plane, $400 USD
I also have a GSC that appears OK offers?
I have a GSC that came with my 912 that the factory said was not airworthy.
I will be putting these in the classified sections but noticed your looking and thought you might like first shot.
By the way IVO does not recommend the 3blade Ultralight prop on a 3 to 1 gearbox due to harmonics. I ran one on my Buzzard for 400hrs with no problems.
Norm

beeryboats
11-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I have a couple of props that I am going to sell as I did not use the 582 in my model IV. I have a warp 2 blade great shape but I could never get it to balance to my satisfaction. $300USD
I have a three blade Ultralight IVO that came with the plane, $400 USD
I also have a GSC that appears OK offers?
I have a GSC that came with my 912 that the factory said was not airworthy.
I will be putting these in the classified sections but noticed your looking and thought you might like first shot.
By the way IVO does not recommend the 3blade Ultralight prop on a 3 to 1 gearbox due to harmonics. I ran one on my Buzzard for 400hrs with no problems.
Norm

I'm not mounting a GSC again due to life limit. I have never heard of the harmonic issue with the IVO. Is that on their web site? And I want to stick with a three blade. Thanks anyway.
Jay

Norm
11-02-2016, 05:03 PM
I have never heard of the harmonic issue with the IVO. Is that on their web site?
Jay

I don't think it is their website. Got the infrormation talking to one of the guys at factory. The IVO 3 blade is a super smooth prop. I liked mine enough on the old plane that I put a three blade IVO on my 912. By the way I am using the ultralight on the 912 as many do.

avidflyer
11-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I think the harmonics on the IVO three blade with 3-1 reduction is less of a problem when you use a knurled faced hub. I think IVO said that. Plus put the tape across the blades at the hub to see if you get any movement. I've ran a 3 blade IVO on a 3-1 gear ratio quite a bit also. JImChuk

beeryboats
11-06-2016, 03:22 PM
I got the exhaust system mounted but not safety wired yet. I need to make a decision on a prop. Looking at my LEAF catalog I just received, they have a Warp Drive three blade with standard hub for $633.00. Does that sound like a good choice and price?

Norm
11-06-2016, 03:31 PM
I got the exhaust system mounted but not safety wired yet. I need to make a decision on a prop. Looking at my LEAF catalog I just received, they have a Warp Drive three blade with standard hub for $633.00. Does that sound like a good choice and price?

Anyone I know with the three blade warp is happy with the performance. Little tougher to setup than the IVO but tough as nails and smooth in the three blade.

beeryboats
11-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Thanks. I just checked my email and had a quote from Warp. They recommended the HPL hub for a bit more money. They also priced me the standard hub. Both are on sale! I'm stoked, this is the last major purchase on this restoration.

beeryboats
11-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I had credit card in hand when I called Warp Drive today. Can you believe they picked today to take a day off?!?!? I wish my company would do that. I might just be able to keep up on mowing the runway.

beeryboats
11-23-2016, 06:23 PM
The UPS man delivered my brand new prop today. I've been waiting years for this day as it means that my rebuild is near its end. The only other thing I need to buy is a new battery. Wouldn't you know it, the tip of one of the blades is chipped! As you can imagine I could just scream. As I have no knowledge of composite props, and feel I should have a perfect new prop for money paid, I want a replacement. But now I have to wait until next week for answers due to the holiday. ARRRGGG

Happy Thanksgiving!

efwd
11-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I wish receiving ones prop by UPS meant the build was near completion. I got my Whirl Wind this past weekend but I still have a long time to completion as I just started in March of this year. ;) Anyhow, bought it now before the price goes up and while my money was only earning 0.01% interest.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Eddie