PDA

View Full Version : Rotax 582, old but low hours

aklaurag
09-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Looking at a Kitfox IV 1200 with a Rotax 582. Both the plane and the engine have just under 100 hours-- however, the plane hasn't flown in 22 years, and the engine has only been fired up a few times since then. Thoughts on what would need to be serviced and what other issues might crop up on an aged, but low-time engine? Is purchasing this plane (and engine) a terrible idea? The engine and plane have been stored inside. Thanks, Laura

LSaupe
09-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Hi Laura:

Given the time it has been sitting, it is advisable to pull the engine for overhaul (inspection, decarbon and new seals). The seals can deteriorate over time (critical for a 2 stroke) and condensation can work its way in and create havoc with bearings and other surfaces. Also, suggest sending to a rotax service center where they can add any upgrades that have come out since the engine was manufactured.

I was in the same boat last year (only my engine had 0 hours, but had been sitting over 20 years). Still sent it our for the inspection, new seals etc.

Its worth the effort.

Kitfox IV is a great bird.

Larry S.

Norm
09-19-2016, 06:30 AM
It is never a terrible idea to buy a Kitfox.
You definately want to tear down the motor for inspection and also check fabric condition. I had to recover complete on my Model IV but mine spent a lot of it's life outside. I believe the location of the KitFox will also play a part in the amount of possible corrosion in the motor. Dry prairies better than by the seashore. A 582 has a rotary valve for intake which can also help to keep moisture out.
Still if its a good plane and a good price grab it.

aklaurag
09-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. What should a rebuild cost for a 582? Who is the best outfit to do the work? I figure I'm going to have to ship the engine out regardless, as I'm in Alaska. Thoughts on upgrading to a 670? Is that overkill for a IV? Up here more power is always better :) and would probably help resale value, but I'm not sure I'm convinced I need it. 912 is not in the budget, or I'd upgrade to that.

avidflyer
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM
The 582 is pretty much similar to a ski doo snowmobile engine. (yes I know there are some differences) Is there a shop in the area that you trust? I have a place about 10 miles from me that I've had go through almost every 2 stroke engine I've flown behind. (probably 10 engines) This place also builds race sleds, so I figured if they could make an engine stay together at twice the rpm I'm running, they aren't to bad. They charged me between $300-$400 to tear down, clean, inspect, regasket and reseal, and put back together. To each his own, but that's what I do. YMMV Jim Chuk

Norm
09-19-2016, 04:21 PM
I tend to agree with Jim. I do my own tear down and inspection, but a good snomo shop can do it. If you want Rotax aircraft certified there is a guy in Salmon Arm BC Bob Robertson that has a long history of doing fine work on these engines. I believe his company name is Light engine services. You can take advantage of the low Cdn dollar and save 35% on the cost. There is also a shop in Prince George BC that seems to sell parts for the aircraft engines. I have seen them advertise Ducatti coils and ignition components on ebay. Jim's tear down and reseal price is what it should cost, but expect a lot more if you go to a Rotax aircraft certified shop.
Good luck.

Norm
09-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh By the way a 670 is a snomo engine and not certified for aircraft use. I know there is someone claiming all kinds of wonderous things about the 670 but as near as I can tell I have never heard a first hand great performance report on the 670. In fact all I have heard is people trying to sell them. I considered the 670 but have not heard a report of it living up to the claims of the person that is building them.
Please if anyone has positive to say about the 670, I would like to hear it.

Esser
09-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Oh By the way a 670 is a snomo engine and not certified for aircraft use. I know there is someone claiming all kinds of wonderous things about the 670 but as near as I can tell I have never heard a first hand great performance report on the 670. In fact all I have heard is people trying to sell them. I considered the 670 but have not heard a report of it living up to the claims of the person that is building them.
Please if anyone has positive to say about the 670, I would like to hear it.

My buddy had one in his Zenith for 3 years. He had it in there to test it before he put it in his S-9. He had nothing but good things to say. He also has lots of time behind the 582.

LSaupe
09-20-2016, 05:33 PM
I have also heard some positive things about the 670, but as it is a custom build (not a Rotax configuration that would be supported at a Rotax service center), I would think it might decrease aircraft value. Just an opinion.

TY2068
09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
If you can get the plane for a super deal then the engine at this point is not a major deciding factor IMO. Obviously any long dormant engine will need to be gone over carefully and possibly replaced. You do not mention the overall condition of the airframe, covering, paint, interior, radio, instruments, propeller, tires ect.. ect.

If the engine has been stored and mothballed carefully there's a good chance the engine will run just fine. The carbs, fuel/oil injection lines, fuel pump, coolant, rv oil/lines ect ect will all need to be gone over.

Remember even an old Grey head 582 that is low time and running has a good resale value. Guys like to use old 582's for small airboats for example. There would be little to loose in attempting to get the engine running in the plane as it now sits. Flying the engine if it did run good would be a personal choice and calculated risk obviously.

aklaurag
09-21-2016, 04:57 PM
As I continue the search, I may be moving away from this particular project and more towards something a little more finished. Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I'm definitely looking for a nice little taildragger LSA, and kitfox is high on my list!

Durham66
03-17-2017, 07:34 PM
I have a very clean Rotax 670 that I would be willing to trade for a 582 with a gearbox. My 670 is VERY clean.