PDA

View Full Version : Australian Kitfoxers out there?

rosslr
09-14-2016, 10:06 PM
I was contacted recently by David Evans in Melbourne who has just ordered a Kit! Congratualtions Dave and welcome to the group. I have encouraged Dave to join up and make himself known. I told him all about the wise and generous people on this site - I know you will make him welcome when he pops up here!

I have put Dave in touch with Ben in Sale (Mcgaero - nearly finished!) and I think these 2 guys are going to produce some pretty nice aircraft!

That got me thinking about other Kitfox flyers in OZ. The ones I know of are:

Jono in Melbourne/Benalla (Jono) Model 4
Matty in Melbourne (Metalman) Skyfox (?)
Rob in Melbourne (Foxedemontheforum) building SS7
Jim in Yarrum (Chrisag) Model 4
Tom in Tumut (has had Kitfox but needs troop carrier for the family - loves these planes)
Rob in Tassie (Aussie Bob) scout but would like SS7 - ordered yet Bob?

I would be really good if any other OZ Kitfoxers who are on this site could let us know where you are.

Perhaps we could organise a get together sometime - I am keen to organise a flyout to Mt Dare Roadhouse/homestead on the western side of the Simpson Desert -it would be a great base for 2-3 days and plenty of interesting places to fly to each day as well as heaps of interesting ways to get there!. And wonderful people run it. I was thinking about next June so if you are interested, let me know and I will start stitching together a few details.

Also, we are planning our next flyin here at Mt Beauty November 26th. You are all welcome and expected! Email me if interested and I will email you the information. We are featuring 'bush' type aircraft this year so it would be great to have a good roll up of Kitfox aircraft.

cheers for now

ross

David47
09-17-2016, 02:59 PM
G'day. I'm the David Evans Ross is referring to. Very much looking forward to getting the kit and starting to build. I'm cleaning out the shed where it'll be built, it's got a rideon mower, wood chipper and other stuff that's a bit grungy. I hope to turn into an Operating Theatre environment !. Very envious of Ross and Ben, both having been through the build process, and in the case of Ross, actively flying and Ben nearing completion. I'm planning on building a Lycoming 0-233 carbureted engine version; Ben has the injected model. Also trying to get to Mt Beauty on November 26 to meet Ross and see some Aus Kitfox's. I'm not expecting my kit to arrive until the new year But when it's built, I'm up for any and all flying to any part of AUS. I support Ross totally in trying to rally the Kitfox owners together. We can all learn from each other and make for an interesting group. Why, given another 50 years we could even challenge the Van's group for numbers !!!

DesertFox4
09-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Welcome aboard David.
Congrats on purchasing a Kitfox. You have some stellar examples there to emulate.

I flew the factory Kitfox with the o-233 Lycoming in carbureted form. Ran smooth and had good power. Should work well for you.

Enjoy the build.

Planesmaker
09-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Hi Dave, Tom here from Tumut, welcome, this is great place to come and learn. My family and will plan to fly in to Mt Beauty in our J400 Turbo. I have the bare bones of a Fox in my Hangar I have started to rebuild.
Tom

rosslr
09-17-2016, 10:08 PM
HI Tom. you back from Russia yet? What model fox is in the shed? is it for you or a a doerupper? I might have someone interested in it if you want to do it up and sell. perhpas private email me?
cheers to the family

r

Planesmaker
09-18-2016, 01:09 AM
Hi Ross, we are still in Russia till the 3rd October. Am hoping to keep the fox as a toy for Tom!!! Depending on our situation when I finish it. It will be modified with different flaperons, larger round rudder and elevators to give it a 30's look. Oh and something special in the engine compartment of course!
Regards
Tom

David47
09-19-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome DesertFox4. Appreciated. I know that I'll have to aware of the CG when building because of the heavier weight for the Lycoming but there are ways around that without resorting to ballast. Yes I wish I'd been at Oshkosh when John McBean brought the 0-233 version to the show. From the forum threads, doesn't look like many folks take this route but I'm always up for a challenge. I'm a bit of a Lycoming/Continental fan, given the incredible number of these engines installed in GA aircraft. I'm assuming the quality will come across to the light weight 0-233.

Tom, thanks also for the welcome. Yep, I've been reading some of the threads and the tribal knowledge out there is endless. I know if I have issues I'll be swamped with help. I'll be posting progress of the build on the site in the same vein as Ross, albeit perhaps not as well.

Cheers

David

rosslr
09-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Good to see you on here Dave - looking forward to your build!

r

rosslr
10-03-2016, 03:17 AM
DAve. In answer to your Q's re lights.

I have:

1. Power Burst Position/Nav/Strobe LED on wing tips by Aveo Engineering Group

2. Aero LEDs landing and Wig Wag lights

Both very good/ I think I got these after seeing them on the Stick and Rudder planes. The Wig Wags are particularly impressive! Everyone comments how bright they are and really makes you be seen. I actually fly with them on all the time now rather than only when landing.

hope this helps.

ross

David47
10-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Ross,

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

Funny you mentioned hijacking Steve's thread .... That was actually going through my mind on an earlier post of mine. I'll set up a thread when I start building. Bit too early right now.

You're not getting anyone else putting up their hand re building in Aus. Bit surprised at that. Thought people would have jumped at the chance to engage with what is a very vibrant and helpful group of builders.

rosslr
10-03-2016, 04:10 AM
HI Dave. your welcome re the lights - they may have new versions now but I suspect whatever Kitfox are offering is pretty up to date.

And yes, I was a bit surprised by the few responses this thread - when I started my build thread quite a few came out of the woodwork. Maybe that will be the case when you start your build.

I didn't mean to discourage you from posting on the other blogs - just thought we were starting to have an 'off-topic' chat on Steve;s thread.

Anyway, preparing to fly up to Narromine later this week -weather permitting.

Hope you are enjoying the flying. I think I remember John Mc explaining the Eurofox relationship to tKitfox (lack of..) but I think that you have pretty well picked up the differences.

I look forward to introducing you to RMQ soon!

cheers

ross

David47
10-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Ross, so ive ordered the Nav lights and strobes. Still umming and ahring about the landing lights... Ie whether to embed them in the wing tips, wing leading edge or lower engine cowl. I'll make that decision later. Either way, they'll be LED's.:rolleyes:

rosslr
10-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Excellent Dave. Are you planning on Night flying or just using them for recognition? Either way, the wing tips come molded with a spot for the combined landing/wig wags and have a perspex cover - pretty good spot for them. Here is a pic them operating in wig wag mode - pretty impressively bright!

cheers

r

PS going up to OZKosh Dave?

AusBushPilot
10-13-2016, 04:26 AM
I may as well chime in here if you're looking for replies. I actually met Ross and Gayle a while ago at the Back to Holbrook fly in, where I unofficially voted their Kitfox best in show. Thanks again Ross for letting me have a sit in your plane and dream for a bit! I'm an Aussie kitfox enthusiast but unfortunately my bank account won't let me put in an order for one yet :( just have to keep dreaming till then. By the sounds of it though it might be worth the drive to mt beauty to see all the bush planes come together. Sounds more exciting than 172s doing the same circuit over and over again here at Latrobe Valley. :D
Cheers, Kane.

rosslr
10-14-2016, 01:08 AM
HI Kane,

good to hear from you! It would be great if you can make it up to Mt Beauty in Nov for the flying and keep the dream alive - dreams to come true!

cheers

ross