PDA

View Full Version : HS Trim

Tomfox
09-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Kitfox SS7 just completed. Rotax 912 ULS

When I put in full flaps, I do not get enough electric trim to stabilize the plane at 60 mph. It is necessary to hold some backward pressure on the stick to get 60. I don't remember this being the case with either of the Kitfox's that I was trained in (stick & rudder aviation). Do I just need to go in and make an adjustment. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Tom Livermore

PapuaPilot
09-11-2016, 09:24 PM
I have the same problem. At half flaps I trim full nose up and get about 65 mph and when I put full flaps down I have to pull pretty hard on the stick.

rosslr
09-12-2016, 02:56 AM
Have you tried it with luggage in the back? I find 1 stage with no luggage and 2 when loaded up works.

cheers

r

airlina
09-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Search for trim assist on this forum for all the answers to this well known problem. Bruce N199CL

Tomfox
09-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Thanks airlina.

Tom

jiott
09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Yes, all us kit builders have this "problem". The SLSA trainers have different flap detents (less down angle) which allows them to trim for 60 with full flaps. The kit flap detents are more aggressive. You can offset some, not all, of this by adjusting the HS jack screw to give more nose-up and less nose down range. I did this and it helps. Just screw in the rod end on the top of the jack screw until at full nose-up trim the leading edge HS tube almost touches the bottom of the slot in the cover plates. This gives more nose-up trim but still leaves plenty of nose-down trim.
If its not too late in your build, some guys cut a couple more detent notches in between the standard notches to give less aggressive flap choices.

Slyfox
09-12-2016, 10:43 AM
my fix is to just not use the flaps. works for me. :D