PDA

View Full Version : KitFox IV - Panel Questions

dhwpilot@gmail.com
09-11-2016, 06:17 AM
We have just been given a partially completed 10 year old KitFox IV. I am in charge of working out the control panel. We have a bunch of parts to sort through to begin that work. Any recommendations on how to proceed? I have never done a kit plane before. We do have the manual and parts list. Also, recommendations on panel configuration would be helpful. Thanks, Dave Wilson EAA231

PapuaPilot
09-11-2016, 06:37 AM
One place you should look at on this forum is the "Show Us Your Panel" thread which is at the top of the list for the "Electrical/Instruments/Avionics" section. You can see what many of us have done with our panels.

As you sort through the parts you have don't forget that you could start all over and go with a digital panel if you are so inclined and have the budget.

dhwpilot@gmail.com
09-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the help. Once we get done with the total picture, and the paying flying club members determine the budget, we can go from there. Dave

Norm
09-11-2016, 12:17 PM
One thing I highly recommend is to lay out the panel isn a logical order in pairs. My model IV had a trio of guages and then stuff added in a where ever fashion.. If you are doing ASI, VSI, Altimeter but nothing else put them in a six pack fashion, or four pack and leave a hole with a blank cover. (Do not use a shower drain cover for the blank) Then you will have room for expansion. It bugs me that my Oil temp, Oil pressure and CHT guages are in a triangle. I would like to add a Coolant temp but the triangle leaves no logical place to put it. Putting the guages in a double row with blanks would have made this a non issue. Of course is you are going EIS and EFIS things change a whole bunch.

dhwpilot@gmail.com
09-11-2016, 01:41 PM
I see the problems. We need to have a sound plan based upon what the Flying Club wants from this aircraft. Thanks. Dave

GWright6970
09-11-2016, 08:23 PM
I think this is what Norm is saying...... if you are staying with steam gauges .... I also have a transponder, and comm radio... An iPad, with ADSB -in; and ADSB-out are also going in.

Norm
09-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Nice panel Logical and laid out with some symmetry. Even your Vents are evenly spaced. My panel was old and things added in a poorly thought out fashion. Yours is a good example of a planned layout.