PDA

View Full Version : Calling series 5 round cowl owners - Cooling system

inflight
08-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Deciding with J McB that I have a series 5 round cowl firewall forward, I have a dilemma that those owners may help with... How do you route the 1" hose from the water spider to the radiator? The previous hose seems to be a moulded curved hose that I have not been able to match up at over 5 different auto shops. 1" heater line doesn't seem to cut it for the degree of bends necessary. Photos would be helpful. I will try to add some pics to this thread in the next few days. Thanks.

dynomike
08-29-2016, 05:30 AM
hps silicone has 45 and 90 s in 1".just a thought

kmach
08-29-2016, 05:57 AM
My 5 smooth cowl with a different engine mount, has allot of aluminum 1" pipe , especially the bends for the radiator routes, maybe you can find that easier.
Another option is to find a spring that fits nicely inside the hose to keep it from collapsing in a 90 , there are external spring setups as well , I got some at NAPA or Auto Parts Plus I think , not sure if there is one for 1" though.

inflight
08-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I went ahead and ordered two 90 degree aluminum bends. They don't have a bead on the end to grab the hose however. Those of you that have installed tubing as part of the cooling system, does the straight pipe grab the hose well enough as it is or are you adding a bead somehow? Hopefully the bends will fix the problem. It is a tight install.

jrevens
08-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi Mark,

If you have any reason to come down to Denver, bring the bends with you and I'll bead them for you. Not saying they won't work un-beaded, but you'll have a more secure and positive seal with the bead.

kmach
08-29-2016, 02:10 PM
I used one of these from ACS to bead the aluminum pipe.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/ezbeader.php?clickkey=38401

inflight
08-29-2016, 05:35 PM
John- That is a very generous offer. If I need to go to Denver sometime soon, I will get in touch. Thanks.

What size of EZ-Beader would you buy for a 1" tube? It is a bit confusing because it say 1" OD for the EZ-Beader.

jrevens
08-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Your tubing will be 1" OD, so the one for "1" OD" is the one you'd use. It varies with the hardness of the tubing, but the EZ-Beader type tools don't do as nice a job as a more expensive beading tool does. It works, but it just deforms the tubing from the inside only, as opposed to a tool that uses forming rollers on the outside also to create the bead. Like I said, it gets the job done, just a little less elegantly.

kmach
08-29-2016, 06:14 PM
John is right about the ez beader, it's better than no bead.
If you are close to a better tool that's the way to go.

kmach
08-29-2016, 06:15 PM
It sounds like a flight opportunity for one of you !:)