PDA

View Full Version : horizontal position

ken nougaret
08-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Just thinking about 2 months out; can i assume the horizontal stab position should be level with plane level for takeoff. FYI, SS taildragger with o-200.

PapuaPilot
08-27-2016, 08:24 PM
It really depends on you EWCG. Most likely your plane is going to be near the forward limit. If your CG is good I would start with the trim half way between limits. Then fly it, determine the correct takeoff position and adjust your trim indicator to the takeoff position.

Pilot4Life
08-27-2016, 10:23 PM
I agree with PapuaPilot. In our King Air 200's & 350's, we set "Neutral Trim" or Zero for pre-flight inspections, yet on takeoff, we always have some trim, generally 2-3 units up. If you fly at Zero (we do for test flight, post-maintenance rigging checks) and find a good setting for your Weight & CG at takeoff, then simply mark that spot on the indicator for future reference...and perhaps the same process for landing trim...though that's often just "feeling the old girl out all the way to touchdown".

"Give me a vector, Victor"

Floog
08-28-2016, 09:41 AM
And in my F-16 I set the trim....oh, a KF7? Set it about an 1" from the top of the slot. Good luck, test pilot:)

jiott
08-28-2016, 05:04 PM
As Floog says, about 1". It is no big deal if you are off by 1" either direction, just requires somewhat more fore or back stick as soon as the tail comes up. A couple of takeoffs and you will find the sweet spot. I have taken off several times with full nose up trim by mistake (didn't use my CIGAR checklist) and it just requires a hard forward push on the stick-nothing dangerous.