PDA

View Full Version : oshkosh

Flybyjim
07-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Arrived in Oshkosh at 1pm today, in the camp ground all set up and relaxing. A 13 hour drive turned into 19 hours due to construction in avery state from Pa to here. There are 11 in our camp on 30th street. Two Kitfox owners in our camp, 2 Rans S7, Challenger II, and Hawk. Looking forward to meeting you fellows and ladies through out the week and get some great first hand info on your planes and kits. I am just finishing my wings before covering and looking at strobes, pitot tube set ups and perhaps Garmin G3X. Will be talking to John and Debra about the 912-912IS and fire wall forward.

Wentz on the water tonight for dinner, see you soon.

Jim Haunstein PA.
SS7 building N977KF

Av8r3400
07-21-2016, 05:02 PM
(Wendt's - order the prime rib with fried lobster!)

Leaving in the morning. Hope to be set up befor the major heat of the day.

Flybyjim
07-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Lobster and Perch very good tonight

Jim

Av8r3400
07-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Hopefully getting there Saturday night...

Paul Z
07-23-2016, 09:28 PM
I plan on being there Thursday. Looking forward to the STOL competition.

efwd
07-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Help! I don't remember what thread Larry had his areal image of his gathering place for Airventure tonight.
Eddie

airlina
07-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Eddie, search for Airventure 2016 to find an aerial view of the location

Av8r3400
07-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Here you go! 5 pm today.

mr bill
07-29-2016, 06:55 PM
I really liked the Kitfox on the tail of the Mangy Fox.

TahoeTim
07-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Can someone go to the Oratex booth and confirm that they were given an STC for the covering?

bumsteer
07-30-2016, 10:54 AM
I was too busy watching the covering process to read it, but there was a poster that I'm pretty sure was about a STC. After watching, I'm strongly tempted to try the Oratex.

Rick

efwd
07-30-2016, 11:07 AM
I listened to the speel as the guy explained. No STC in the US yet. He said STC Thus far are for ultralights. Neat stuff though. It seems it would cut significant time to cover a kitfox. No Paint!
Eddie

Dick B in KY
07-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Why is an STC (supplemental type certificate) required for an experimental???

Dick B

Dave S
07-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Why is an STC (supplemental type certificate) required for an experimental???

Dick B

It's not.....recommended by parties of interest maybe, but not required

jrevens
07-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Oratex has had European approval similar to an STC for some time according to what they told me. I don't know how aggressively, if at all, they are pursuing an STC in this country. I have to imagine that it might be a drawn-out, expensive process, but I don't really know.

TahoeTim
07-31-2016, 04:50 PM
If they had acquired a STC for certified aircraft, their sales would go through the roof. That's why I asked.

efwd
07-31-2016, 07:36 PM
I have a pic of the STC printed out on a banner that is standing in their booth.
Yesterday I was out near the ultralights not at their main booth in the exhibit hall. As soon as I get someplace with wi fi I will download it here. I guess the stuff is pretty expensive. Cost may limit the sales going through the roof.
Until I can post the pic of the STC letter you might be able to research STC
Import Number SG03715NY.
The letter suggests you can research models that it applies to.
Hope that helps
Eddie

efwd
07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Here it is.

colospace
08-03-2016, 06:08 AM
Back on topic...... A big thanks to Larry for hosting the get together at OSH again this year. Looking forward to the group photo with names again.

Paul Z
08-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Back on topic...... A big thanks to Larry for hosting the get together at OSH again this year. Looking forward to the group photo with names again.

I'll second that! Larry goes all out, he is an excellent host. I specifically want to thank him for getting me a ride to the front gate after the STOL demonstration, my feet were killing me.

Av8r3400
08-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Here's the group. It was a great time. You are all very welcome, I enjoyed it too! I just wish I could have spent more time talking to everyone.

No problem with the cart ride, Paul. I'm sorry I had to bail from the STOL show, I needed to attend the award ceremony for the UL judging.

Same place next year?

Slyfox
08-03-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm the one on the right with the kitfox shirt the kitfox hat with the beautiful woman in the red and white shirt. :D

Slyfox
08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
now with that said, this was another very great Osh. I have found out how to take the kaos out of going. I take the blue airplane (southwest) fly into midway in Chicago, then I rent a car, drive up to Waupun Wi. each day we drive in and it takes about 25 minutes. Our total cost with 3 days in Osh, about 2000 dollars, that's rental car, motel, food, and flight, along with admission to airventure. way cool time, enjoyed meeting up with everybody on Friday night. my favorite has to be the ultralights along with the stol compititions. My wife liked the warplanes, so did I. We took their little tour around everything over there. the Pioneer airport was real cool as well as the museum. We made our way over to the float plane airport as well. Our favorite thing to eat was a sandwich at subway, roast beef with cheese lettuce tomato and ranch dressing, yum. there was a little restaurant on the way in that had French toast to die for, homemade bread big and thick, yum. Tarberts was the name on highway 26. Already planning on next year, same time, same way, same motel. Now to wait the year.

Esser
08-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Sorry I didn't make it to the party. I was double booked. Looks like a handsome group

Paul Z
08-04-2016, 12:11 PM
I decided to go about 2 weeks before the Fly In. I had to wait for July 27th to leave, my wife & my anniversary is July 26th. I decided to drive up from Dallas, I was thinking of camping, but then I came to my senses, and decided to get a Dorm Room. So I called with very short notice to the University of WI Oshkosh, surprisingly I got an air conditioned room. The room was about $125 per night. The city of Oshkosh runs a shuttle bus service is $30 for the week all you can ride. I parked my truck and only used it one night to go to Appleton to have dinner. I like the University Cafe for breakfast, fast and very reasonable price i believe it was $8.

Personally I really like staying at the dorm.

now with that said, this was another very great Osh. I have found out how to take the kaos out of going. I take the blue airplane (southwest) fly into midway in Chicago, then I rent a car, drive up to Waupun Wi. each day we drive in and it takes about 25 minutes. Our total cost with 3 days in Osh, about 2000 dollars, that's rental car, motel, food, and flight, along with admission to airventure. way cool time, enjoyed meeting up with everybody on Friday night. my favorite has to be the ultralights along with the stol compititions. My wife liked the warplanes, so did I. We took their little tour around everything over there. the Pioneer airport was real cool as well as the museum. We made our way over to the float plane airport as well. Our favorite thing to eat was a sandwich at subway, roast beef with cheese lettuce tomato and ranch dressing, yum. there was a little restaurant on the way in that had French toast to die for, homemade bread big and thick, yum. Tarberts was the name on highway 26. Already planning on next year, same time, same way, same motel. Now to wait the year.

jrevens
08-04-2016, 06:03 PM
I decided to go about 2 weeks before the Fly In. I had to wait for July 27th to leave, my wife & my anniversary is July 26th. I decided to drive up from Dallas, I was thinking of camping, but then I came to my senses, and decided to get a Dorm Room. So I called with very short notice to the University of WI Oshkosh, surprisingly I got an air conditioned room. The room was about $125 per night. The city of Oshkosh runs a shuttle bus service is $30 for the week all you can ride. I parked my truck and only used it one night to go to Appleton to have dinner. I like the University Cafe for breakfast, fast and very reasonable price i believe it was $8.

Personally I really like staying at the dorm.

I like it too, Paul. It's where I've stayed for the majority of the dozens of times I've been there.

Av8r3400
08-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Base camp. Across the street from the Ultralight Barn…

Evening time at base camp.

Flybyjim
08-04-2016, 07:03 PM
I am sorry I missed the gathering this year, hope to attend next year. We camp between rows 29 and 30 each year with about 10-12 from our EAA 122 group and 8-10 from Texas. It is always a great time with not enough time to see everything, hang with friends and see all the Kitfox folks. I do manage to pick brains while at the Kitfox display. John, Debra, Brandon and all the crew are so grateful with their time and advise. Now if I could figure a way to not have to work and just build life would be complete.

efwd
08-04-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm bummed that I wasnt able to stick around longer. Glad to have met a few of you. Had a family engagement with 4 of my siblings that have not been together in 25 years.
Eddie

trentp
08-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Here's the group. It was a great time. You are all very welcome, I enjoyed it too! I just wish I could have spent more time talking to everyone.

No problem with the cart ride, Paul. I'm sorry I had to bail from the STOL show, I needed to attend the award ceremony for the UL judging.

Same place next year?

Thanks for having me, it was great meeting you and all the others, hope to see you next year!

Dave S
08-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Hey Larry....really love the sunset photo:)