PDA

View Full Version : Planning to start my engine

Dorsal
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I am planning to start my 912 ULS for the first time next week and looking for the voice of experience for tips and cautionary tales. I have a pretty standard setup (by the book throttle and choke) with a Dynon EMS, have not filled fluids yet and will only be running off the header tank. I am aware of the oil fill procedure though I am not sure if I am to flush the coolant system before filling. The ROAN FAQ talks about a First Start checklist which I can find no evidence of anywhere.

Any input or advice will be appreciated.

Slyfox
08-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Wow, I just did this in january. Really a non event. On the throttle, I find it best to open the throttles and set the cables from that. Just make sure thay open at the end of the travel the same. I generally take and open them all the way and than close them slightly to give about .030 clearance from the arm to stop, make sure both carbs are the same. This will give you a base for running it. Than you can use the calibration set up later.

Just pour in the 50/50 mix of dexcool to distiled water, I think it takes like 1 to 2 quarts or something like that. Once you have it runing, shut it off after a couple minutes and recheck. On the oil, this works for me. Fill it up, with the top installed on the tank. Take the vent and hose into the cockpit. Now take shop air, can be about 120lbs. Now inject into the vent and crank over the engine at the same time, make sure the mags are off. Do this with a max of about 20seconds each time you do this with a cool down period. Once the pressure starts to come up, you mentioned having the dynon, make sure you are running on the efis battery power, or should I say, have a battery backup in the efis. Otherwise it will shut off on ya. Once pressure comes up, you can remove the shop air. The system is now bleed. Let things cool down and prepare for start up. Tie down the back, chock the wheels, what ever. Take a big breath. Hit the starter for one more check of oil pressure without the shop air. If things are in the green. Hit the mags and let er rip.

Slyfox
08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's a couple of starting safety things i did. Make double sure the mags work as thay should. that is the ground is proper and the switch is working proper.

On the fuel side. I didn't hook up the fuel lines at all until it was time to fire it up. In other words, not until the engine was bleed proper.

Extra insurance I didn't have a fire up of the engine before I was ready.

Dorsal
08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the input, did you use 120 psi shop air into the oil tank? seems high.

Slyfox
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
i have many a times. I use to do this when I pulled all the hoses to do an oil change. Now days I just use a suck gun and pull out the oil that way and than pull the filter, fill the new one and stick it on. Than I just crank over the engine, mags off, until the pressure comes up. Usually about 10seconds.

WHat I did, try to understand, I used an air nozzle that had a rubber tip and shot air in with spurts. But kept the nozzle in possision, don't let the air out. So I may not have put the air all the way up to 120. If you have a regulator on your air, just put it to about 50psi and you should do just fine. It sure beats the heck out of turning over the prop by hand, might take all day that way. Yuk. That uls sure has some compression.

Dorsal
08-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks, makes sense to me, I appreciate the help