PDA

View Full Version : Drain holes in elevator horizontal stab and fuselage?

RadialFox7
07-13-2016, 04:35 PM
The folks at Poly Fiber recommend drain holes on all the tail feathers and fuselage. Kitfox construction manual only speaks about the wing. With the wood ribs in the hs and elevator it seems like a good idea. I'm planning to follow PF's recommendation - did anyone else do that? I searched threads but didn't find anyone thinking of doing same. What's ya'alls opinion?

dcsfoto
07-13-2016, 06:43 PM
yes Fabric aircraft need drain holes

never bigger than a wasp ass

jiott
07-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Yes, I put drain grommets in the trailing edge of the elevator, the HS already has cutouts for the struts, and in the extreme end of the fuse, and just in front of the transverse steel tube under the seat back.

PapuaPilot
07-14-2016, 05:29 AM
I used seaplane grommets for every thing. I put two holes per side on my horizontal stab by the aft spar and two per side on the elevator; one at the trailing edge and one at the leading edge spar (in case the control lock was holding full up elevator). For the wing I put holes the trailing edge inboard corners on every bay.

RadialFox7
07-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys! Time to burn some holes......

Av8r3400
07-14-2016, 11:31 AM
If you have two layers of fabric (Polyfiber System) that's all you need to burn a small drain hole. I used a "pencil" style soldering iron.

I put drains in the tail feathers and rear fuselage. Don't forget the rudder, too.

Esser
07-15-2016, 11:18 AM
If you are using aerothane just be aware that burning it creates cyanide gas so do it outside and upwind