PDA

View Full Version : Dynon Pitot

efwd
07-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Hello
Ive done a search for some pics without success. Does anyone have a pic of their install of the Dynon pitot tube? Im not covering for another month or two but I may buy the mount soon but would like a visual of what it entails.
Thanks
Eddie

Av8r3400
07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/uploads/monthly_2016_01/Pitot_Mount.JPG.632192101a50b604749ae3d0467d2885.J PG

Av8r3400
07-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I made the yellow portion of the mount, a short piece of airfoil shaped 4130 welded to a rectangle. Inside the wing I made an aluminum plate, shaped like a squared, shallow "C", that bridged between two ribs to mount the exterior portion to.

(I hope that makes sense...)

N213RV
07-08-2016, 07:14 AM
Here is an aluminum bracket I made to hold the Dynon Pitot. I can't seem to find any pictures pre-covering and after pitot install, but if I find one, I will re-post. I used a standard Pitot mount (Gretz, I believe).

jdmcbean
07-08-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello
Ive done a search for some pics without success. Does anyone have a pic of their install of the Dynon pitot tube? Im not covering for another month or two but I may buy the mount soon but would like a visual of what it entails.
Thanks
Eddie

There is some information in the builders manual regarding the Dynon style pitot tube as an option.. We have the brackets and the pitot tubes.

N213RV
07-08-2016, 08:14 AM
And a picture after covering.

Cherrybark
07-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Almost time to mount the AOA tube and am considering putting it inside the lift strut. For those who used this location, is the AOA mounted just outboard of the #5 rib so the tube will clear the lift strut?

The build manual says put the pitot on the left wing. I don't have any reason not to mount on the left but "why the left" has been nagging. Is it so the pilot has one last chance to notice the "Remove Before Flight" ribbon or is there a more particular answer?

I'll mount the tiny OAT probe on the AOA mounting board as others have suggested.

jmodguy
07-13-2017, 05:52 PM
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=6013

Av8r3400
07-13-2017, 08:05 PM
I don't remember why I went on the right side. Maybe just to be different? :o

jrevens
07-13-2017, 09:05 PM
... The build manual says put the pitot on the left wing. I don't have any reason not to mount on the left but "why the left" has been nagging. Is it so the pilot has one last chance to notice the "Remove Before Flight" ribbon or is there a more particular answer?...

I've always thought that at least one of the primary reasons for locating it on the left wing is because traditionally (at least with side by side seating), the primary flight instruments that use the pitot/static system are located on the left side of the instrument panel... hence it is a shorter, more direct run for the interconnecting tubing.

jiott
07-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Why does the pilot sit in the left seat? I think it is just tradition that has become the defacto standard.

Danzer1
07-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Why does the pilot sit in the left seat? I think it is just tradition that has become the defacto standard.

Umm, I'm pretty sure it's for visibility in the pattern. The "standard" pattern is lefthand particularly at uncontrolled fields.

jmodguy
07-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Because if you sit in the right seat, its a helicopter...:D:D

http://www.askcaptainlim.com/flying-the-plane-flying-90/1173-why-must-a-captain-sit-on-the-left-side-of-a-plane.html

jrevens
07-14-2017, 04:01 PM

Of course it's a "tradition"... it follows the standard of automobiles in the US. I've known several pilots who prefer to fly from the right seat (alot of prior instructing, or for whatever reason), and some who have even built their instrument panels to accomodate that preference. As Danzer 1. mentioned, it also makes sense with left-hand traffic patterns.

And nobody knows how helicoptors can even fly, so they can do whatever they want to. Actually, there are also good reasons why they are usually flown from the right seat.

Cherrybark
07-14-2017, 07:47 PM
About that question...

For those who mounted the AOA inside the lift strut, is it mounted just outboard of the #5 rib so the tube will clear the lift strut? Or am I going to have to pull the lift strut out of storage and figure this out for myself like a responsible adult?

efwd
07-14-2017, 08:45 PM
I will take a photo and send it to your email right now
Oops. Just caught on. Im not mounting inside, sorry

rv9ralph
07-14-2017, 08:46 PM
I have been following this discussion, and I have not built a SS7. However, if the AOA/Pitot is located inside the lift strut, will the lift strut be in the airflow when at high angle of attach, thereby disturbing the airflow and giving incorrect information?

Ralph

Cherrybark
07-14-2017, 09:34 PM
That's half of the discussion that comes up Ralph. The other point people make is mounting inside the lift strut protects against people bumping into the tube or otherwise doing damage. I'll be putting the plane in a private hanger so I should just avoid the potential air disturbance issue, mount in the "build manual" location, hang a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon, and be done.

DesertFox4
07-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Will try to get a good photo tomorrow of how to mount the Dynon/AFS AOA pitot inboard of the strut attachment but keep it functioning without interference from the strut fairings.

DesertFox4
07-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Couple photos of optional pitot location.

Cherrybark
07-15-2017, 11:47 AM
The pitot definitely is in clear air but, as close as the tube comes to the lift strut, I would be nuts not to mount the wing on the plane and make sure the mounting location has clearance.

Always like to see pictures of that workshop / hanger.

Brandon Petersen
07-15-2017, 12:21 PM
This is the plate that is available from the factory. It is pre-routed to overlap the capstrip and fit between a false rib and main rib.

Brandon Petersen
07-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Installed....

Cherrybark
07-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks for that picture Brandon. I'll fire up my handy-dandy Dremel / Belt Sander wood working shop and make something along the same lines.

Av8r3400
07-15-2017, 04:16 PM
http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/uploads/monthly_2016_01/Pitot_Mount.JPG.632192101a50b604749ae3d0467d2885.J PG

If you look at mine, you'll see I do not have the bottom false ribs in my wing. I made a bridge between the two ribs for an aluminum plate. Then mounted the pitot closer to the inboard rib to give clearance to the lift strut.

I have no flow interference and the readings are accurate and stable through the AOA range.

DesertFox4
07-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Great position for it Larry. Nice and protected there.

olsonCCR
02-16-2024, 12:33 PM
This is a bit of an older thread but I can't seem to find any other info on the forum. I'm trying to install my Dynon pitot mast this weekend in my left wing, so I can get ready for cover.
Instructions call for placement 35" forward from trailing edge on the inboard side of the 7th rib, which is located outboard of the lift struts. Any reason why or recommendation against better protecting the pitot tube by placing it inboard of the lift strut attachments and away from the jury struts? Larry (builder below) mentioned AOA readings from his placement were not affected but a buddy did just mention in a text I could have an issue with prop wash if its located too inboard.

I realistically don't see myself mounting a Onewheel or anything crazy on my left wing. The only downside I can see could be routing wire and tubing length due to having to go back out further to end of wing and route through end of the spar.

I doubt it matters but I'm build an STi wing.

Any comments are appreciate. Thanks!

Kevin

Jerrytex
02-16-2024, 03:36 PM
I put mine where the manual states and I kind of wish I would have put mine inside the lift strut like others. Seems like I regularly catch myself about to hit it when walking under the wing and so have others.

I do have an install tip...... if you mount it where the manual says, on mine, the bottom of the pitot tube hit the top of the elevator when I folded the wings. I had to cut about 3/4" off the mast to get clearance. That was a lot of fun trying to cut it straight, free hand, under the wing, upside down.

olsonCCR
02-16-2024, 07:08 PM
I put mine where the manual states and I kind of wish I would have put mine inside the lift strut like others. Seems like I regularly catch myself about to hit it when walking under the wing and so have others.

I do have an install tip...... if you mount it where the manual says, on mine, the bottom of the pitot tube hit the top of the elevator when I folded the wings. I had to cut about 3/4" off the mast to get clearance. That was a lot of fun trying to cut it straight, free hand, under the wing, upside down.

Thanks Jerry,
I called KitFox today and spoke w John. The location recommended is where they did all their testing, so it's the recommended location but I agree with you. I am still leaning toward the placements inside my lift strut. Granted, they're basically all Cessnas but every high wing on the Tarmac today I drove by on my way to my hangar had the pitot mast inside the lift strut.
I'm thinking of throwing my wings back on my fuselage this weekend just to better visualize where it would actually sit and how far forward it needs to be to have clean air but I'm going to try to make it work! Only time will tell.

Kevin

Av8r3400
02-17-2024, 07:08 AM
After many years of use, I have no regrets mounting where it did. I have verified accuracy against the GPS on several occasions and there appears to be no interference from the strut or prop wash.