PDA

View Full Version : Rotating wheels

rosslr
06-24-2016, 01:19 AM
We had our first fall of snow here today so bunkered down in the hanger and decided to swap over the wheels - I have heard others talk about doing this to even out the rate at which the 26' bush wheels wear. I have reviewed all the threads here on jacks and stands but decided to use my block and tackle hoist. just needed two lifting straps and a spreader bar - works really well.

WWhunter
06-24-2016, 06:25 AM
I thought you guys down there were upside down....not sideways. ;)

Nice looking plane. I do my tire changes in a similar manner. Use an engine hoist with a strap wrapped around the junction of the strut. Few jiggles of the handle and the tire is off the ground. Quick swap and move to the other side.

I will mention that if one needs to leave it 'hanging' while putting a new tire on the rim, I would block up (support) the axle.

rosslr
06-24-2016, 02:55 PM
agreed about blocking it for any time Hunter.

cheers

r

ken nougaret
06-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Here's what i made for jacking. Works pretty good.

rosslr
06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Ken, do you lift both wheels at the same time with this set up? I assume you block it if you do? I was wondering how you stop it tottering from side to side.
cheers
r

ken nougaret
06-24-2016, 03:56 PM
I was doing this to put casters under each tire. That way i could move the plane sideways in the garage. If i placed the floor jack just right, both wheels come up the same. If im off a little it leans sideways and i can just lift the low side by hand to slide the casters under. BTW, im doing this with the wings folded.