PDA

View Full Version : First Start

Norm
06-11-2016, 02:35 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJaHwQT7Z4

Did a first start on my 912

DesertFox4
06-11-2016, 03:11 PM
That's encouraging Norm. They always sound like little race car engines with no prop load.:)

Norm
06-11-2016, 03:17 PM
I am real happy with preliminary tests. Lot more work to go but still shooting to have her done in the next month or so It does sound real good so far. I know rotax recommends a single muffler but space did not work. I'll do more of a report on the install at another time.

DesertFox4
06-11-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure how the twin mufflers affect the 912 engines but yours is not the first 912 to utilize them. Our old friend Tex from Utah, may he rest in peace, built a Highlander and used the twin mufflers on his 912 or was it a 912ULS. Too many years ago now to recall with certainty. It ran well as I recall.

Dusty
06-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Is that a kitfox mount? I've never seen anything like it !

Norm
06-12-2016, 05:18 AM
Custom mount I did with a friend who tig welds. Basicly a bed mount that is attached to the three lower points. Top mount goes from top two mounts to the gearbox as a safety strap with added rigidity. Also gives a place for the old style ignition to sit with the oil tank. Turned out ok. The week after I finished it, there was a KitFox mount for sale in the classifieds. Darn..... Doing this on a retiree budget so doing as much as possible to save funds but stay safe. In all the messing around I blew up my Grand Rapids EIS. I will have to use standard guages for now (I have them all) and send the EIS in for them to look at and give me a quote. My one mag has a huge drop but until I replug, new filters, full gas lines to cabin etc I don't think I will try to trouble shoot it. If anyone has experience with the old syle ignition and has an idea I would be happy to hear thoughts.

PapuaPilot
06-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Norm, first runs are always an exciting time. Other than checking for fouled plugs or bad ignition leads I wouldn't do much troubleshooting until you do the things you already mentioned.

DesertFox4
06-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Sometimes Norm one module rpm drops can be as simple as a bad spark plug cap. Hope that is your situation. Just shop the internet for them as Rotax thinks they are gold plated.:rolleyes:

Norm
06-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Norm, Other than checking for fouled plugs or bad ignition leads I wouldn't do much troubleshooting until you do the things you already mentioned.
Yes the ugs are the ones that came with th motor used n I agree with Df4 First thing I will check is plug end attachment I have heard of the problem before Still smiling

Esser
06-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Nice Norm! You'll have to fly up to Edmonton and give me a ride when you're done if you can stand us blue collar types up here haha!

Norm
06-12-2016, 10:19 AM
First off when it comes to most pilots (KitFoxers) our collars are all the same colour. I was lucky enough to go to Penticton and get a ride with Kitfox2009. He has a 912UL in a KitFoxV with the Ivo adjustable prop and showed me 117mph easy cruise with that setup. I also got a ride with Desert fox4 and impressed with his ULS and an inflight adjustable IVO. I wll be happy to pay it forward with a ride for you. Only thing is yours may be done before mine. It was supposed to be done by now and I was hoping to host a KitFox Western FlyIn but I am way behind schedule so that may have to wait till next summer. I know of about 10 kiftfoxes in the area and maybe Don and Kevin will make the longer journey as well. Still ride is yours when she is flying

Esser
06-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Sounds good Norm, I look for any excuse to fly so I'll take you for a ride when mine is completed too ;)