PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Cover

JohnB
06-09-2016, 04:37 PM
I've been looking at the slick cabin cover that Kitfox sells but I have a little concern about damage that it may do to the windshield if any dust/grit finds its way between the cover and windshield.

So for those that use the cover, have you had any scratches that you could attribute to the cover moving around? And what do you think is better, covering up or going au naturale?

DesertFox4
06-09-2016, 05:01 PM
John, the Kitfox Aircraft covers once on don't move or let dirt get under to damge the windsheild. Tested in the dusty southwest many times. Keeps cockpit nice and dry in a rainstorm too. Tested many times at Oshkosh alone.
I'll be ordering one for my 7SS when ready to fly.

Dave S
06-09-2016, 05:10 PM
JohnB,

Same questions I pondered in my mind before I got one.

I did get it and am happy with it. The inside surface which contacts the windshield is soft so it will treat the windshield well. We made just about everything else for the plane made of fabric (like upholstery and tail pad) but the cover is kinda complex.

The key is keeping the inside of the cover clean, I am careful not to let it hit the ground and fold the clean inside surface back against itself - BTW - it comes with a bag which will help keep the cover clean when it is not being used - folds up in a fairly compact/light package.

Second thing is keeping the aircraft surface the cover contacts clean. Bugs come off the windshield before the cover goes on. I always bring some clean windshield rags, cleaner and a small container to put water in with on a trip.

So...when do I use the cover?....only when I think I need to. There have been many times when it is real obvious out camping that it's not going to rain over night - I'll leave it off then. If there is a chance of precip - that is when I use it - my main reason for having it is to keep the inside of the plane dry under those circumstances. If I were ever to leave the airplane outside for several days - the cover would go on. At least that has been my strategy.

I'd certainly recommend the cover John sells - kinda one of those - "having it and not needing it" as opposed to "need it and don't have it" things :)

Oh...almost forgot to answer your original question!.....nope, no scratches due to the cover.

Fly well,

Dave S

ken nougaret
06-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Dave, you mentioned the inside is soft. Is the inside a different material than the outside? My wife was going to make one is the reason i ask.

Dave S
06-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi Ken,

I am sure there is a name for the material used for the cover; but, I am not aware of it. It's very light weight, The inner and outer surfaces are different with the inside surface being soft; but, it appears to be a single material - not a lined product.

Dave

tommg13780
06-10-2016, 06:54 AM
I also have the cabin cover and showed it to a lady that sews theatrical costumes for a hobby business. She was very impressed with the sewing work, the materials and said that the machine required for the Kitfox logo embroidered on the windshield area would cost at least $10K. So there you have an opinion from a semi-professional seamstress saying it's nice work and good value for a custom made item.

JohnB
06-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. The cover sounds like a worthwhile investment.
I guess I should have thought about this a little earlier in the year though as they are out of stock and on an 8-12 week delivery.

efwd
06-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey! I don't like what Im reading here. What gives with the rain coming into the cabin unless its covered? Im envisioning my upholstery, wood floor and avionics getting trashed if it should rain on the airplane. Is it not possible to seal this thing up? Do I need to upholster this thing with Jeep interior? LOL
Of course I wont change a thing and I intend on buying the cover myself anyhow. I aim to trailer it to and from the airport so the cover is probably advised.
Eddie

kmach
06-12-2016, 09:48 AM
The cover won't do anything for you if you have the wings folded, it won't fit.
It is made to fit with wings in the flight position.

efwd
06-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Oh. Good to know. Thanks

jiott
06-12-2016, 03:39 PM
My limited experience without a cover, parked in some light rain:

No water inside in cockpit seat or panel area. Maybe just a tad bit from the butt rib area, dribbled down the inside of the doors. I do have my boot cowl to windshield joint well sealed with silicone.

The only appreciable water inside was in the baggage area, coming from the slots in the turtle deck.

Didn't see it but assume there was also water entry in the tail area from the slots in the stabilizer access panels. Do have drain hole in the back bottom fabric.

rosslr
06-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Agreed Jim - on our recent trip I checked to make sure the tail was not full of water after heavy rain - there was none so I am not sure if it did get in or if it just drained out.

Also, I noticed that the flapperons had water in them despite me drilling drain holes in them - closer inspection showed that where I drilled the drain holes along the rear edge of the flapperon, there was a thick bead of sealant or glue - although I drilled through the aluminium it did not act as a drain as hole drilled into solid 'sealant'. I re-drilled them on an angle and all is good now. I only found this out on the trip as normally the plane is hangered and not out in rain.

cheers

jiott
06-12-2016, 08:07 PM
That's a good thing for all of us to check, Thanks Ross.

Floog
06-14-2016, 12:30 PM
I found a cup of water in the strut fairing intersections. I noticed a small drip there after several rainy flights, so I drilled a hole in the PVC and out it came! I suspect water enters at the jury strut clamp areas and collects down there.

jiott
06-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Wow, thanks Floog; I never thought of that. Will check mine, although I don't fly much in the rain like you do. After draining, might be good to squirt some silicone sealer around those jury strut openings.

Rooster
06-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Those are very pertinent points, as my understanding is that one could easily experience devastating flutter, should the water freeze in the flaperons.

Does anyone have a pattern for a cover that they can publish here so that we can make it up?

Reid