PDA

View Full Version : Tool for positioning a bolt, or washer plus nut

Maurice
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I have not been able to successfully google where I can obtain a tool for positioning a bolt, or washer plus nut, in a difficult to reach place. I presently need it to mount my rudder.
One of our brethren has an Esco Hingemate Australia AN3 + AN4. I have been unable to locate it or anything similar.
Any advice or help would be deeply appreciated.

Maurice 7A 912S 72" IVO GA

DesertFox4
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Maurice, it is a challenge to install the rudder bolts.
I've use an assortment of hemostats to position tricky small bolts,washers, nuts ect. Maybe this will work for you too. They lock in position after grabbing the item. Useful for many tasks during a Kitfox build. After seeing a couple of my local Kitfox builder friends using them I picked up an assortment.
I always keep a couple in my Kitfox .
Available in a variety of sizes on line or at most flea markets, gun shows, ect.

(http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1501519_lg.jpg)

Dorsal
08-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Maurice,
I can mail you my Hingemate if you like, just send it back when you are done.
How come you havn't put yourself on the KitMap? it feels lonely up here in the North East

n85ae
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
super glue the edge of the washer to a piece of metal. I use Zap ca, and
an accelerator. Once in place a little tug will break the glue bond.

Jeff

Dave S
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Artery clamps work for some stuff - The handyman's secret weapon - duct tape (or masking tape) holds nuts & washers in place to get them started too.

The rudder bolts can be a real bearcat - I have seen some Kitfox modifications with larger holes fitted with access plates - I just suffered with the small access slots.

Sincerely,

Dave

Maurice
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for your answers, suggestions, and timelyness. Even though it is expensive, I have ordered from Avery Tools p/n 5866 bolt grip. It looks great for AN 3 and 4 bolts and may work for a nut plus washer. I have a hemostat, found recently while fishing with my grandson, and glue and duct tape.
Dorsal, thank you for your offer to lend your Hingemate. I hope you keep the offer open in case the above is problematical. I decided on the above to avoid having your Hingemate when you needed it and the postage back and forth.
Maurice

Slyfox
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
there is several ways of doing this. One you can use a bit of vasaline on the end of your finger and put the nut on that. Next you can put a small punch on one side and feed the bolt through from the other. My favorite, take some super glue and put a little on the end of your finger, than put the bolt on the superglue and feed the bolt through and than rip it off when done. you can also use the superglue on the end of a screw driver and put the washer on that and put it down in there, maybe even use the vasiline.

Maurice
01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
My observations with my 7A:
1.) Hemostats hold bolts with negligeable chance of accidental release, at where ever along the bolt that you wish. The middle bolt must be held in the middle. There is not enough room for it to be held at the bolt head.
2.) Avery Tools, Ft. Worth, Texas Bolt Grip #5866 is ideal for holding the nut plus washer after being adjusted. It holds a bolt only at the head and allows a clod to drop a bolt (guess who). Those magnetic retrieval tools come in handy.
3.) I almost tried the wrap electrical tape around the nut plus washer procedure.
Thank you all,
Maurice, 7A, 912S, TD, IVO 72" medium, building

DanB
01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I found the super glue trick (to a popsicle stick) to work well when trying to position a small nut in limited space.

SkyPirate
01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I have made wrench's for specific purpose use,.a piece of 14 gauge sheet metal cut about and inch wide,..drill a hole for the bolt size of the nut,.put bolt with nut into a vise ..heat the area of the 14 gauge sheet metal with the hole you drilled to cherry red,.. set it over the bolt in the vise..take a socket 2 size's bigger and hold with vise grips ..now look thru hole in socket allign with bolt ..and smack it good with a 2 lb sledge until you've got the socket well over the nut,..the 14 gauge strip ..you make it the length you need the wrench to be prior to heating or weld it to a piece of round stock after fabricating the wrench ..once it cools ..shape the sides to fit your need of the wrench head that you just made

Maurice
01-31-2010, 08:56 PM
I just discovered that Aircraft Spruce sells a bolt grip that appears to be identical to that from Avery Tools. It has one end for -3(3/16") fasteners and the other end for -4(1/4") fasteners.
ACS P/N 12-00628 for $17.75.
Maurice