PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Charging

kitfox2009
04-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Guys
I use a Samsung 10.5 Tab S and either Avare or FLTplan when flying cross country. Not always is power available on the ground so I like to keep a full charge during the trip.
I get static on the radio when I use a 3.4 AMP fast charger lighter socket style. It seems the lower amp units are not so bad but they don`t always provide enough power.
Has anyone else has this issue and if so ,how did you fix it?
Thanks
Don

airlina
04-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Hi Don' funny you should ask, i am using a galaxy 7.0 tablet for navigation and when i plug the tablet audio into my intercom system to get obstruction and terrain warnings I hear lots of alternator and strobe noise. I just talked to tech support at PS engineering (my intercom manuf.) and they asked if I was charging using ships power. When I told them yes, they recommended I try this unit from amazon to filter the noise. I figured for 9 bucks it was worth a try. Ordered it today http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-3-5-mm-Isolator/dp/B001EAQTRI I can report on it when i get the unit installed and my condition inspection finished. Bruce N199CL

jrevens
04-29-2016, 12:09 AM
My understanding is that many of the 5.1 v USB adapters can be "noisy". Many of those are made in China. There are quality units units that don't have the problem. I encountered the same issue when charging my iPad with one in my airplane. You can probably get some info about that problem & maybe some suggestions about the best ones to use on the internet.

HighWing
04-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Wow! Timely, timely. A gremlin I have been chasing lately. I was thinking of going to a small sealed lead acid battery charged externally.

(Edited after Gary's Post)
In the early days of low power USP units, I had made up my own chargers using components from Mouser Electronics. I recently purchased a Cincon EC1SC01 DC/DC converter. It changes input of 9-36V to 5V output. It also has terminals for minor adjustments to output voltage. The early ones I used mostly for my hearing aid Streamer with no noise, though it was mounted behind the seat rather than on the panel and put out less than one amp. The new Cincon unit puts out 20 amps for a multi-outlet possibility. The noise issue has put a damper on wiring it up, but the talk of "cheap" has changed my mind. I will wire it to a female USB plug and see what happens.

colospace
04-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Still not to the point of working on my panel and I forget what source originally lead me to this link, but my recollection is that these are supposed to be good. Maybe someone here will try them out before I get to the point of needing to buy something :D
http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

HighWing
05-07-2016, 05:12 PM
A follow up. I have spend the last week or so trying to trouble shoot the noisy charging of the tablet. All tests were with the engine stopped. What I did.

1. I tried three different noise filters between the power source and the radio including the expensive one from ACS. No improvement.

2. I tried the external battery not connected to the airplane power. No improvement. Apparently the noise is radiated noise separate from buss power.

3. I wired up the Cincon DC/DC Converter EC1SC01 a 20 amp unit and quiet. The Tablet battery was at 17%. This was temporary wiring. Moving the Converter to within a foot of the radio - MGL V6, resulted in some noise from a flashing LED low oil pressure idiot light. But that was likely because the flashing light was within about 8 inches of the converter at the time.

If you want to try this, the Cincon Converters are available in several amp outputs. You will also need some female USP sockets. I have made up PC boards in the past, but this time for just one unit, I think I will simply wire everything up soldering all connections and pot the wires on the bottom of the converter with epoxy.

kitfox2009
05-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Last week when we flew up to Vernon (pics on where I fly) we brought along a handful of plug in chargers. The only noisy on was a dual USB was a 3.4 amp made by CEFC. All others quiet but some where insufficient to recharge the tablet with Avare operating. I think the solution may be to just experiment with a bunch unless going with a up market panel mounting job.
Don