PDA

View Full Version : North West Montana Fly-in

jgjoern
04-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Greetings Kitfoxers,
My name is Jeff Joern. I own a Kitfox SS that I built and first flew in 2012. I am based out of Glacier Park Airport (KGPI) and my playground is NW Montana. John and Deb McBean have expressed interest in flying out to this corner of the country, and with their help and support, I propose hosting a gathering of Kitfoxer's this August. The dates would be: arrive Friday Aug. 19th, fly-out/play on Sat. the 20th and depart on the 21st...of course, people could come earlier...leave later as desired. It will be held at Ryan Field (2MT1). Ryan field is located about a mile from West Glacier, MT and is managed by the Recreational Aviation Foundation (RAF) The caretaker has cleared the way to have a gathering there that weekend...see web site: http://theraf.org/ryan-field-pilot-info It would mean camping, unless individuals made arrangements to stay in nearby West Glacier, or flew back to Kalispell, either city airport (S27) or Glacier Park Airport, or even Whitefish(58S). Sat. fly-out opportunities include a back-country flight out to Schafer USFS(8U2), Spotted Bear USFS(8U4) or Meadow Creek USFS(0S1). Additionally, I have talked with the curator at Crystal Lakes Resort(01MT)...also known as the StoneHenge Air museum...see website: http://stonehengeairmuseum.org/ to possibly getting a tour of the museum. Others could fly to Whitefish...there are bikes at the field to borrow to ride to town, or go back to Kalispell for the day. Of course, being at the door to Glacier National Park has its own draw. Lodging (or camping) and groune transportation will be each individuals responsibility. With enough interest, for a nominal charge, I can coordinate/host a barbecue one evening and maybe have some coffee and pastries Sat. morning. Let me know your interest and later I will be soliciting commitments/reservations...

Wheels
04-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Sounds like fun. Im close to you in Clark Fork Idaho ID78. We'll be in touch!
Kit fox IV

Slyfox
04-05-2016, 06:30 AM
I have only one comment, fire season.:eek:

FCH
04-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Hi
I am Cliff Higgins in Helena, Mt.
Your flyin sounds like fun but my family reunion is on those dates at Benchmark.
We should get together sometime.

Esser
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Sounds awesome, due to my wife and I's weekendless schedules, it will be hard to know until closer to the date. However, we would probably have to take the Cherokee!

AirFox
06-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Jeff, haven't heard any updates on this fly out lately. I'm planning on going. Thanks for putting this together.

jgjoern
06-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the prompt. As an update, Ryan field is in great shape. They just had a gathering of RAF members last weekend...low turnout due to some weather issues. Not sure if the museum tour will be possible as they want waivers signed by all parties prior to flying out...also, the Whitefish airport is closed for the summer....otherwise, back-country flyout is still on the plate as well as Glacier Park activities and merriment/socializing. The airfield can accommodate as many as 35 or maybe a few more airplanes, so let's have a party. It would be good to get some idea of how many arrivals to expect...so if you are so inclined, let me know.
Jeff

dynomike
06-28-2016, 08:20 PM
hi jeff .count me in .sounds awesome

3 tracks
06-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Jeff
Thanks for arranging this fly-in. I'll be there.
John

Ironman Al
07-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Hi Jeff! I'm Al Derber,I live in Bigfork, I'm finishing up a restoration on my Mark V, I'd like to come to the flyin if I'm ready by then, I'd still come even if not, let me know if you need help! greatbearmetals@Hotmail.com

neville
07-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Weather permitting, I hope to find the time to fly over from the Seattle area. Have relatives in Eureka,Mt.

jgjoern
07-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Update on the fly-in. The RAF requires that all pilots who fly into Ryan field get and read the safety briefing. Click the "Ryan Field Safety Briefing Request" on the Ryan Field home page. Just fill out the fields and the briefing will be emailed to you. As mentioned earlier, arrivals are planned for Friday Aug 19th. There will be light fare available (hot-dogs...chips...beverages...) Friday evening. Saturday am will be pancakes/sausage & coffee. A tentative fly-out schedule for those interested would be a round robin to Schafer USFS (8U2), then over to Meadow Creek USFS (0S1) followed by a stop at Spotted Bear (8U4) where we could stop for a light lunch (granola bars, fruit, water, etc..)...then back to Ryan Field. The rest of the day would be on your own...then Sat. evening would be a bbq Steak/Chicken dinner. We will have coffee & muffins available Sun am.
For those interested in renting a car, Glacier Heli Tours rents various models and will pick u up @ Ryan ( this info is on the Ryan Field home page).There is also a courtesy car available on a first come first served basis. If you are not planning to camp and need hotel accomodations, a couple of possibilities include Glacier Travel Inn #406-892-0888 and Cedar Creek Lodge #406-897-7070. These are in Columbia Falls and had rooms as of a couple of days ago. Anything around West Glacier is full up. Other hotels are available in and around Kalispell, Whitefish and Columbia Falls.
If you are planning to attend, and have not previously indicated, let me know as the time grows closer as that will dictate meal planning and such.

jgjoern
08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Guys and Gals,
Great job on getting the Ryan field briefing guide! The folks at the RAF reported quite a few Kitfoxer's requesting the brief.
It is a little over 2 weeks until the fly-in at Ryan field. Conditions here in NW Montana are great! We have had some fires break out in west central Montana, a couple west of Missoula and another south of Missoula, near Hamilton...but it is clear and sunny in our corner of the state.
I will be putting a shopping list for meals together in the next week, so I am going to need a head count for those planning on attending and for what meals. As a rough guess...I think a $25.00/person donation should cover food costs...if I am missing something, or if there are any suggestions...please let me know....
Jeff

jgjoern
08-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Aug 12th update...we had an inch of rain the other day, with sunny days in the forecast...things are looking good here for the fly-in... I plan to be at Ryan field early to mid afternoon next Friday (the 19th). I am looking for a headcount, primarily for Sat. nights steak feed..(I got a good buy on rib-eye steaks)...and whether you prefer chicken...Hoping for a good turnout and looking forward to meeting some new folks...
Jeff

Esser
08-13-2016, 05:32 AM
Looks awesome Jeff, I would fly down but the ole Cherokee probably cant handle the strip loaded up for camping and I don't have a customs sticker for her.

Hopefully next year the kitfox is flying. You are only about a 3.5 flight so it would be a nice trip.

dynomike
08-13-2016, 07:13 AM
You can count me for three plates .My wife is towing the camper up on Sat with the kids.thanks again for all the work

dynomike
08-14-2016, 04:20 PM
and one more for joe .he will be there in the challenger

3 tracks
08-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Count me and my wife in on your head count.

PapuaPilot
08-14-2016, 08:40 PM
I am planning on coming, just one person. Hoping to get up there late Friday and will be camping at the airport.

Wheels
08-15-2016, 11:11 AM
I just downed the kit fox for a bad coil wire. New coil is in the mail and I should have it by thursday. If all goes well, I will be a party of two, camping at the field. would love to have two plates but if we are not there, I'll send you a check for them both. Just give me a mailing address for you. Hope to see you there.

AirFox
08-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Good luck getting the coil Jay! Kellie and I will be flying up the Clark fork on our route to Ryan Field Friday Morning. I'll listen up on 123.45. N157SN.
Scott

Wheels
08-15-2016, 04:03 PM
I'll mow the 1600 foot strip at the house.
the orange balls denote a barbed wire fence or farmers arresting gear.
290 8558

jgjoern
08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all who have replied and are planning to attend the fly-in. If there is anyone else who is interested in attending, please let me know asap...the weather is looking great for the weekend. A cold front is supposed to pass thru on Thursday bringing temperatures over the weekend down into the 70's for daytime highs and into the 40's during the night...with mostly clear to partly cloudy skies...
Safe travels...looking forward to seeing everyone there..

Jeff

jgjoern
08-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Fly-in at Ryan field just 3 days away....Just got an email from the RAF asking me to remind everyone who is flying in to get the mandatory brief...nuff said...see you there...
Jeff

nail13zg
08-18-2016, 02:30 PM
I hope to be there with 3 total, but just for mid day on Saturday, no breakfast, no dinner. We will drive or fly in a 172.
KF 5 in progress.

jdmcbean
08-19-2016, 05:59 PM
If your not here... You should be.
Weather is beautiful and Ryan airstrip is a wonderful setting.
Short trip this morning to Stone Henge for a tour of the aircraft museum followed by a flight into the Glacier Park.

Av8r3400
08-19-2016, 06:55 PM
I wish I was. Damn day job keeps getting in the way of my flying time! :mad:

jdmcbean
08-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Ryan Field 2MT1

McDonald Lake

Stonehenge at Crystal Lakes

Stonehenge Museum

All the aircraft air airworthy and flown.
This is the only flying SeaFire

dholly
08-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Ha, that looks like a pretty radical approach John! :)

jeffbock
08-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Ryan Field (West Glacier fly-in)
For those that considered the fly-in and didn't go...You missed a wonderful event. Jeff and Cathy Joern really went all out to make sure it was a first class event. The online briefing is well done and it made my arrival, first time, pretty much a non event. JeffB

AirFox
08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Here is your arrival Jeff as well as a group picture over last night's dinner.

GuppyWN
08-21-2016, 08:53 PM
John is no fool. He's already picking out his steak!

efwd
08-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Debra Too!

jgjoern
08-22-2016, 08:27 AM
To all of you who attended the fly-in...Kathy and I had a great time hosting and visiting with the group. Paul and Ande ( the caretakers at Ryan) were very impressed with the flh-in and would welcome us back any time. Hope everyone made it home safely.
Jeff

jgjoern
08-22-2016, 09:38 AM
just got off the phone with the RAF (recreational aviation foundation) concerning the donation for the brick to be placed around the fire pit at Ryan field. They say they think a laser imprint of the Kitfox logo is possible...so will continue to pursue that. Additionally, the RAF wanted me to plug their organization...so their web site is: www.TheRAF.org If you feel it is something you would like to be a part of, I know they would appreciate your membership/support.

AirFox
08-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Here are some more pictures from the fly out. Spotted Bear, Meadow Creek, Shaffer.

68niou1
08-25-2016, 06:31 AM
Here are some more

And another one- having problems uploading more than one photo-

DesertFox4
08-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Great photos. Beautiful place to Kitfox for a weekend.

68niou1
08-25-2016, 03:28 PM
some more pics-

dynomike
08-25-2016, 07:04 PM
And more .awesome preparation by the jeorn's .Great to meet all who came .love the water sheeting of 3 tracks wings on departure

dynomike
08-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Why not a few more.

DesertFox4
08-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Really appreciate the photos guys. Beautiful location for a fly in.

68niou1
08-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Another couple of pics- photo credit David Sledge

68niou1
08-26-2016, 06:51 AM
And one more once again photo credit David Sledge- he takes way better photos than I do!!:D