PDA

View Full Version : part number help...

jmodguy
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I ordered one of those fancy new aluminum header tanks from Kitfox and it arrived with the rest of my FWF kit last week. I was out at the hangar today looking through things and noticed that the low fuel sensor (P/N VP-03) is a bit bigger than the mount in the fancy new tank.
Did Kitfox change the sensor sometime between 1995 and now? :confused:
Wouldn't be surprised if they did. New technology n stuff...
Anyone have a part number??
Regards
Jeff

PapuaPilot
04-03-2016, 04:44 PM
I ran into the same issue when I bought the aluminum header tank. The fitting on the side is for fuel return, which I needed to use because of my fuel injected engine. The new tank doesn't have any place to mount the low fuel level sensor.

I had a sensor too, but just decided to not use it. John McBean helped me with that decision. I don't think they install it in their S-LSAs.

Do we really need a low level sensor in the header tank? How many certified GA aircraft have low lever fuel sensors? I can't think of any. With proper preflight planning your fuel should never get that low. Other than that it would take TWO plugged or pinched fuel supply lines to cause a problem in the header tank.

jmodguy
04-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Papua
Can't disagree with your logic but I have a low fuel warning light on my panel... and it is already painted etc
Crap...

Esser
04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
If you don't have a return line, just buy some fittings to step up the size of hardware to what you need.

jiott
04-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Just buy the low fuel option (minus the sensor) from Kit fox. It comes with a small round aluminum tank with port for the sensor. It is mounted just above the header tank in the vent line. Very easy to install. I have one, but I agree its usefulness is rather marginal.

jiott
04-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Here is a photo-its the little round tank in the upper left. As long as you already have a low-fuel light in the panel I would go ahead and use this.
Another option is to weld in a proper size port in the header tank; that would be quite easily done.

jmodguy
04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
I think I will look into having a port welded onto the tank.
Thanks for the input

Regards
Jeff