PDA

View Full Version : Ads-b

grdev
02-26-2016, 06:00 AM
While I'm lying out my panel I'm looking at GPS's Transponders, Com radios, the usual VFR panel layout. It has been some years since I have been what you would call an active flyer, and I'm at an age now where I would be happy to be able to fly another ten years or so. Now this brings in question just what I need to put in my panel. I have tripped across a requirement that in 2020 you will pretty much need what is called ADS-B that as I understand it tells the FAA everything about your flights. I understand you may be able to get by the requirements with some transponders, but I'm not sure at all what exactly I will need to be safe legal, and still able to afford to fly. I don't plan to fly above 10K feet, I don't plan to fly into a busy airport, I just want to punch some holes in the sky and maybe make few interstate cross country flights. Mainly I will just be pulling my Kitfox on a trailer to various events and flying around the local patch, but I still want the ability to head out across country if I so get the urge. What would you recommend as for as a GPS, Transponder, and Com radio?

Dorsal
02-26-2016, 06:41 AM
While deciding on your primary stack is not a simple question I will share a few thoughts on the ADS-b part. The market is still changing fairly rapidly and I imagine many more options over the next few years. If your primary concern is the mandate then I would wait on that and get a basic comm radio (this should be relatively unaffected by the mandate), a used transponder and plan to make a few changes in 3-4 years.

bogmonster
02-26-2016, 10:05 AM
You are outside of the Kanas City airspace, so if you don't plan on flying into class bravo or charlie airspace, you won't need it.

While I'm lying out my panel I'm looking at GPS's Transponders, Com radios, the usual VFR panel layout. It has been some years since I have been what you would call an active flyer, and I'm at an age now where I would be happy to be able to fly another ten years or so. Now this brings in question just what I need to put in my panel. I have tripped across a requirement that in 2020 you will pretty much need what is called ADS-B that as I understand it tells the FAA everything about your flights. I understand you may be able to get by the requirements with some transponders, but I'm not sure at all what exactly I will need to be safe legal, and still able to afford to fly. I don't plan to fly above 10K feet, I don't plan to fly into a busy airport, I just want to punch some holes in the sky and maybe make few interstate cross country flights. Mainly I will just be pulling my Kitfox on a trailer to various events and flying around the local patch, but I still want the ability to head out across country if I so get the urge. What would you recommend as for as a GPS, Transponder, and Com radio?

gregsgt
02-26-2016, 10:39 AM
I see a lot of people worried about the ADS-B mandate when they will never need it since they will never fly into class B or C airspace. To most of us it is just an unnecessary expense that we don't need to comply with.

fastj22
02-26-2016, 12:20 PM
I believe the mandate is for flying inside a Mode C ring or in Class B or C airspace. Basically anywhere you need a Mode C transponder now.

gregsgt
02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Not necessarily.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/images/airspaceRequirements.png

jiott
02-26-2016, 01:00 PM
My 2 cents would be since you must buy a transponder, just get a mode S and you will be good to go. Also, since you probably will be buying a GPS, make sure you get a PANEL MOUNTED (not a portable) WAAS unit that is either certified or is specified as "performance equivalent" to certified WAAS units. With these two items paired together you will meet the 2020 ADS-B Out mandate. Yes by waiting a few more years the prices on these items will be coming down, however I doubt you will save anything by buying non-compliant units now and then replacing them later in just a few years. Its not a small job to replace panel mounted avionics since the new units rarely fit existing panel cutouts.

I also rarely fly in class B/C airspace, but it sure is nice to be able to use "flight following" on cross countries for safety and peace of mind since I almost never file a flight plan. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe after 2020 you will need ADS-B out to use flight following even if you are not in class B/C.

HighWing
02-26-2016, 03:11 PM
I appreciate this discussion. Since I will be closer to 100 than 60 in2020, I have been pretty much ignoring ADS-b. Now, I don't have to worry so much in the event I am still flying.

mr bill
02-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Appareo (ESG 1090), L3 (MSS) and Garmin (GTX335) now have transponders equipped with internal GPS. These will make you fully compliant for 2020. They are a little pricey, especially the L3.

TahoeTim
02-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Since my new play toy (1946 Ercoupe) was in dire need of a new com and a transponder, I sprung for the Trig products. I am happy so far. I will wait to add the Waas GPS until the deadline.

The coupe gives me something to fly around in while I finish up my SS7.

rv9ralph
02-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Remember, when ADS-B is fully functional, ATC will not have radar to see you anymore. Their only data will be from ADS-B out equipped aircraft. An advantage, the carrot on the stick, that ADS-B does give us is inflight data - WX and other aircraft location information.

Ralph

jiott
02-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Ralph, the carrot you speak of comes with ADS-B "in". This is a totally different thing that requires different equipment and is not mandated for 2020. I agree though that it is great stuff for only another $1000 or so :rolleyes:

rv9ralph
02-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Jim, You are correct, I just didn't edit my comment completely. And, although Out is required and In is optional. In and Out does not have to be from the same device.

This, like most Government conceived processes, is confusing and without a reasonably comprehensive review, is full of many sources of mis-information.

I have read many articles, from many sources, private and governmental. Most leave me with a headache. Where I fly from, I am just within the 30 NM Mode C ring from SFO. We had a couple of FAA types from the FSDO come to our EAA meeting and they couldn't answer most of the questions from the floor. Not even the simple statement that ADS-B out is required within the Mode C Veil for SFO.

Go figure!

Ralph

Paul Z
02-27-2016, 09:27 AM
If you are concerned with meeting the 2020 requirement and need a Transponder and an ADS-B, look at the new Garmin GTX-345. http://ads-b.garmin.com/en-US John McBean is a Garmin Distributor, you may want to talk to him. They also have a tutorial on ADS-B at the bottom of the Web Page.

jiott
02-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Also Dynon Skyview and Advanced Flight Systems are fully compliant with 2020 ads-b out if you use their mode S transponder and newest GPS receiver. They also have and ads-b in module that integrates nicely with the glass panel for another $900 or so.

jmodguy
02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
I have been discussing this with GRT and they will be releasing a GPS source for their ADSB out in the near future.
As a side note these WAAS GPS sources are for ADSB only. They technically are not GPS navigators, at least as I understand it...

Rodney
02-27-2016, 11:18 PM
I'm using an Ifly720 with the SkyGuardTWX Vision-Pro Plus ADS-B Transceiver.

From my home base (KHHW), Hugo Ok, I quite often fly down to Hicks, just north of Fort Worth. That takes me across the north side of DFW's Class B. Usually a lot of traffic in the area. Sure is nice to see it displayed on the 720.

My understanding is, with this equipment I am 2020 compliant.

I have had good service from both companies and am pleased with their products. Also have the Ifly on my Iphone and Ipad.

Hope this may be of some value as you try to figure all this out

Regards
Rodney