PDA

View Full Version : sunday flight

phintz
02-15-2016, 09:05 PM
All work and no play? I think not!

my ground speed was with a little help from mother nature!

Patrick
kitfox 6
rotax 912 - 100 hp
trigear

Rodney
02-27-2016, 11:45 PM
[attach]10670

OK. Pop the popcorn n let's see where this goes.

Rodney

kmach
02-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Thats a very nice groundspeed. What was the indicated airspeed ?

jrevens
02-28-2016, 09:23 AM
I see you were going downhill at 400 fpm, but that's still really chuggin' for a Kitfox. Were you exceeding VNE?

kmach
02-28-2016, 10:41 AM
This is the highest Ground speed I have seen to date.
Level , IAS 103 mph , 7500 ASL , GS 151 MPH

Dusty
02-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Kmach which tach do you use/trust?

kmach
02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Primary is the D120's , the rotax one is a backup and I use it as cross reference. I Trust both.

The backup gauges are just that, and have never been needed in 500 hrs . I really dont think they are really necessary, but only the future will tell.

Rodney
02-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Jr. No not exceeding Vne. Sure did pay for this nice groundspeed Last Sunday coming back from Tennessee. Had 40 to 50 mph headwinds almost right on the nose. Groundspeed got down to 59 at one point. Did 500 miles in about 7.5 hours. Ouch! Still, the air was smooth so thankful for that.

Even though it was a long trip I'd rather fly than drive. Got on top of a broken layer for about 200 miles. It was really peaceful and neat to see how the clouds looked in the bright sunshine. The clouds ended before I got home so got to let down in the clear air. The winds really died down as evening approached and landed with only a six knot wind down the runway.

Left Spring Hill, Tn about 8:30am and made a fuel stop at Panola County, south of the Memphis Class B, then flew on to Pine Bluff, Arkansas for more fuel and a hamburger. Left Pine Bluff just as a Falcon was landing carrying Hillary in for some speach. There were a bunch of guys all dressed in identical black suits at the airport along with one of those 40 foot limos. Don't know if they were Secret Service or just hired security. Guess I should have asked. Anyway I was climbing out as the Falcon called a downwind and then final to land.

Since it was so turbulent down low, I decided to climb to smooth air and just enjoy the ride,even with the headwinds. Landed at home right at 6pm

When I got home a package was waiting for me. I ordered a vernier throttle cable to replace the push-pull standard cable. Hopefully will get to put it on in the next week or so.