PDA

View Full Version : Considering Kitfox purchase (need float plane advise)

jsimmo97
07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Hello All,

I am new to the Kitfox world and I need some direction and advise. I am looking for a second hand airplane that fits some specific criteria that I have (foldings wings, taildragger and float configurable). The KitFox appears to be my airplane.

That being said should I purchase a KitFox I, II, III, or IV with, again, the ultimate desire of putting it on straight floats.

I am seeing a number IVs on floats and a select few IIs but I am concerned about the 65HP engines with floats. Can anyone offer advise, experience, or opinions so I can narrow my search.

Also... when buying a used Kitfox is there an expert out there that can help appraise the aircraft and also check it out completely for air worthiness. I don't want to take it to some A&P who's never seen a Kitfox.

Thanks!

~Jason

Av8r3400
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Later model IV's (1200# MTOW) with their larger tail would have better yaw stability on floats, but any will do.

I have a friend with a IV-1200 with the 80 hp 912 & IVO IFA that does very well on amphibian floats.

Slyfox
07-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I have thought over and over about doing this as well with my model 4. That way I can fly it right to my lake property. Still in thought about it. Only thing, you loose some performance. But who cares, after all I have the RV right. I just might do it as well. Oh, this is on the subject, the best floats to use. thow me a bone here.

Slyfox
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Ya, I guess. But, what if you have the same engine in the older model. ya ha! I bet I get better performance

DesertFox4
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
hp. to weight would probably indicate a model 4-1200 or Classic 4 with the Rotax 912S. Model 5's on up are heavier so take off performance would be slightly less but still exciting using the 100 hp. Models with a 582 great for solo but put two on board and any baggage and the take off run will get long. Model 4's on up will give better (faster) cruise speeds.
I gotta get my float rating.:)

jdmcbean
07-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Jason,
I would suggest a qualified local A&P that has an un-biased opinion for a pre-purchase inspection. A Good A&P should be able to inspect IAW 43-13. Depending where the aircraft is there may be a local Kitfoxer willing to help.

The Series 5 and later models will have better useful loads and more baggage capacity.

jsimmo97
08-02-2009, 08:31 AM
what is the useful load of your airplane given the floats? Would you mind asking your firend with the 582 the same question? I see a number of 582s IVs out there so I am trying to make sense if that'll work. I have plenty of water to take off on so not hugely worried about the t/o distance.

Thanks!

av8rps
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
In just getting caught up on some of these older subjects, I thought I would share my experience with flying Kitfoxes on floats for anyone contemplating floating theirs.

I have been flying Avids and Kitfoxes on floats since 1987 (no, that's not a typo...), and have learned what makes for a good performing float plane. It's actually a pretty simple formula; "Very light wing loading + high horsepower per pound = GREAT FLOAT PLANE". A really good example is a friends 390 pound (on floats!) Avid Flyer with a 65 hp Rotax two stroke engine. Here's a short video clip showing how well it performs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDSatUSoCY You DO NOT want to EVER ask him to do a takeoff contest with you (he holds the seaplane takeoff record at 2.7 seconds from idle to liftoff!) Now obviously not everyone can have a floatplane with those numbers, but it certainly proves that a light 582 powered Kitfox will make a good floatplane. And I happen to know that factually as I have a couple thousand hours in lightweight Avid and Kitfox 2 stroke powered float planes. In fact, from a fun and cost effective viewpoint, the early light airplanes are hard to beat as a float plane.

Now, all that said I will tell you that I am flying a fully equipped model IV-1200 with an 80 hp Rotax 912 on Aerocet amphibious floats, and it is an AWESOME seaplane! It would be really awesome if it were on straight floats, saving about 75 pounds of weight.

A newer Kitfox like the Supersport or models 5-7 also will make a great seaplane. Just make sure the newer airplane has at least a 100 hp Rotax 912, along with everything else you can do to keep it lightweight. Weight is the biggest killer of seaplane performance, much more so than what a land plane would see. So once again, do all you can to minimize weight and you will have a good performing seaplane.

In the near future I'll write up more of the technical details on my Kitfox IV on amphib floats to share with those of you wanting to know more about how performance changes when you add floats.

Paul S
Central Wisconsin

DesertFox4
10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Paul , looking forward to more Kitfox float info.

That Avid video is stunning. What fun. If I cut down one palm tree I think he could get that Avid in and out of my swimming pool.;)

. I have seaplane grommets on my model 4.

Now where did I leave those amphibs.?

Ron S
10-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I fly a Classic 4 1200, 912S, with Aerocet amphibs (single switch electric retract) My plane weighs empty 888 lbs on floats. It performs well on take-off and in the air, but taxiing is marginal with water coming over the floats and spray hitting the prop. I don't think the floats have enough flotation up front since the plane tends to weathercock more than any other floatplane I ever flew. On the step taxiing works well.
The stainless steel nosewheel components are fairly weak for rough field operation and being currently replaced. Although there are challenges and precautions to be taken, I really enjoy the plane in the float configuration. Right now the floats are off and the Datum wheel skis are waiting to be mounted.
Ron

SkyPirate
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Ron ,..have you looked into installing gunnels on the floats? it will reduce the spray dramatically and ad stablility while taxiing in rougher water.

Ron S
10-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the idea.
I have looked into mounting Sea-Doo sponsons along the nose of the floats but they are bulky and the angle would be wrong. Your methods seems to be better. Would you make them out of aluminum or fibreglass?
Ron

SkyPirate
10-27-2009, 01:38 AM
I would use aluminum,..and if the floats are made of fiber glass ,..or composites I'd attach them with like materials,..if they are aluminum I'd rivet them with a sealer strip between the gunnel and the float.
I'd use at least a 3 inch gunnel that tapered to one inch at the rear and out of at least 1/8" aluminum

Chase