PDA

View Full Version : Help please with flaperons

Dave Holl
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Hope someone out there will be able to give me some advice, I am trying to remove the plastic covering on the flaperons on my MK7, I understand that this plastic is applied to protect the surface of the flapperon until it is painted, does anyone have any ideas of how to remove this covering?
rgds
Dave:)

Dorsal
07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
How long has it been on? I took mine off after ~8 years and it was tough. I took a 2 inch dowel and rolled it off taking care not to dent the aluminum. Sorry to say it was a pita but didn't take too long.

DanB
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Dave,
I happen to be in the same boat...ship...er...U-know
I was told if the stuff won't come off easy enough, then use a paint stripper, HOWEVER, don't get it on the hinge areas or allow it to seep into the foam. I guess there is a foam inside? The paint stripper will disolve it. So easy does it. I'm going to do this to mine this evening and will report back.

cardinal flier
07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
The best way to remove the vinyl covering is to soak rags in paint thinner/mineral spirits, lay the rags over the covering, and let the rags sit. In a few to several hours, the vinyl will bubble up and be easily stripped off the flaperons. Thanks to Lowell Fitt for this tip.
Bruce Estes
Classic 4, still building

Mark
07-21-2009, 03:33 AM
We just completed a set of flaperons at the factory that may have been around over ten years. We brushed on a gel type paint stripper with good success. It only has to sit for 10 to 15 minutes and the material bubbles up. Then you can lift it up using a soft plastic putty knife or rubber scraper. The stuff is caustic and I have to wear two pair of latex / nitrile gloves to keep it from burning the skin.

The foam inside is the actual rib material. Also, the hinge bearing material is plastic. I don't know what the stripper will do to that either. If you get within an inch or so of the hinge slots, it's usually enough to lift the material up to the slot. When you prep for paint, look for tiny (pencil-tip sized) glue deposits on the flaperon skins. I had to sand several off with 400 grit.

Good luck,

Dave Holl
07-21-2009, 03:36 AM
I have tried soaking the surface in IPA and MEK but both not much good!
Will try paint stripper/thiners today hopefully.
will report back
Dave:)

Dave Holl
07-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Mark
Thanks for the info when I have a go with the paint stripper I will keep it well away from the foam and hinges, will mask the areas I dont want the stripper to get to so hopefully will be ok.
rgds
dave

DanB
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I did a trial and error with a spray product stripper...it turned out to be an error :(
It was not caustic enough as it said the fumes were not as bad as other products...so don't be led down that path when you are looking at stuff in Homer.
Back to the store for the paste that says ventilate well

Agfoxflyer
07-21-2009, 06:01 PM
For those who are storing flaperons for future use: I stored mine hanging on the wall of my shop for about 7 years. The side against the wall came off easily. The side exposed to light was a bear. So cover them up with something that doesn't transmit light. Might help down the road.

DanB
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Here it is guys, I took a picture of a stripper and I gotta say...she worked good :D Picked her up in an isle at Home Depot but she doesn't work for free. About $23 will get you several stripping sessions, and the best part...each session lasts 15 minutes. :cool:

Dave Holl
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Have tried using the gell type paintstripper and it works very well but it is messy and takes quite a while, i have also used a hair drier and that also works but takes a lot longer.
i think i will wait for the cold winter nights and do it in the family room when I have nothing better to do!
dave:)

Dave Holl
07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Here is a photo of the paint stripper in action!
Dave479

Jim
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM
My kit was purchased in 1995. I bought it in 2005. It was in the rafters of a small barn. Last year I removed the plastic from the flaperons. I tried stripper with poor results. I then took a heat gun on low heat and the film peeled right off. With the stripper I removed little pieces. With the heat gun it came off in sheets. Jim

Series 5 tail-dragger
Covered, 0-200 engine rebuilt and mounted.
21D MN.