PDA

View Full Version : Cabin size

grdev
01-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Is there any difference in the 4 & the 5 models cabin size ? I sat in a 5 today and fit fine, but I'm looking at a 4 model to buy.

Thanks

Av8r3400
01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Yes there is definitely a difference. The 5 is a larger airplane than a 4.

Don't let that dissuade you from investigating the 4, though. You may be just fine in the smaller cabin. I'm short, but stocky (ahem) 5'-9" and 225#. I have no issue with my 4 and actually reset the rudder peddles closer because there was too much leg room.

I flew my plane from northern Georgia to northern Wisconsin with a passenger my size. We were cozy, but comfortable.

SkyPirate
01-14-2016, 12:00 AM
I went to a fly in at SUUV Sullivan MO last year or so, a guy that flew in had a model 4 speedster for sale in kit form with a 912 motor mount.
Think I still have his number, Mike Zeigler his name , his number
(314) 566-3359

grdev
01-14-2016, 03:50 AM
I was at that air show this last summer, just live down the road from there. Do you have any idea his price?

Gil

av8rps
01-14-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs and fit in my model 4 just great if that helps. In fact, I own two other aircraft with much larger cabins but actually prefer the nice snug fit (in a good way) of my Kitfox 4. It feels more like you put it on, rather than just crawling into it...

grdev
01-15-2016, 11:04 AM
The 4 model I'm buying says it has long wings with speed tips. Can anyone explain to me just what that means? Any idea what the cruise would be with a 582?

Thanks

Gil

Av8r3400
01-15-2016, 12:08 PM
I've never heard of "speed" tips, but would suspect they are the Hoerner style as opposed to the droop tips. I have these tips on my plane (see photo albums).

Properly rigged you should see at least 85 mph out of that setup.

rv9ralph
01-15-2016, 10:16 PM
The droop tips are Hoerner tips. Speed tips are normal rounded tips. The rounded tips make it easier to see beyond the wing tip. With the Hoerner tips your view straight out of the cabin past the wingtips is restricted. However, they are supposed to help with STOL performance

Ralph

jiott
01-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Hoerner tips are not droop tips. Look in the Kitfox optional accessories catalog to see the Hoerner tips.

av8rps
01-16-2016, 08:54 AM
I think you meant to say "Speedster" tips, which are the Hoerner style tips they first put on the Kitfox Speedster to help reduce wingtip drag. They are less draggy than the older droop tips used on all previous Kitfoxes. I really like them on my 4.

I once test flew a model 4 1050 with a 582 and a warp drive 3 blade prop on a big set of Full lotus floats with a large incidence angle on the float rigging (meaning, in flight the bows of the floats were way down when the fuselage was flying level, in other words, huge drag...) and it would cruise at a real 90 mph without trying too hard.

So I personally think a 582 model 4 on wheels should be able to do 100+ with some minimal efforts to keep it light and clean up the most logical drag areas (wing struts, jury struts, tail fairings, etc., etc.)

That will be a fun airplane.

jiott
01-16-2016, 11:38 AM
I also have the Hoerner wingtips and do like them. The only possible negative is that they add about 8" to each wingspan, which means more wing area and somewhat more float when landing, compared to my buddies with the standard tips. The Hoerners also probably reduce stall speed somewhat, but I haven't really noticed much.

rv9ralph
01-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Ok, I did some research, and Jim, your are correct in that the catalog referee to a non droop Hoerner wing tip... however, Dr. Hoerner designed several wingtips to deal with the effect of vortices. And, the Model 3 "droop" is a Hoerner tip by design, although not as listed in the catalog, and was used on Piper Pawnees and other aircraft, not all as exaggerated and the Model 3 was.
Ralph

SkyPirate
01-18-2016, 10:53 PM
I was at that air show this last summer, just live down the road from there. Do you have any idea his price?

Gil

He has never given a solid price, and I didnt pry

HighWing
01-22-2016, 07:31 AM
I also have the Hoerner wingtips and do like them. The only possible negative is that they add about 8" to each wingspan, which means more wing area and somewhat more float when landing, compared to my buddies with the standard tips. The Hoerners also probably reduce stall speed somewhat, but I haven't really noticed much.

When I was building my first Model IV, the plan was to keep it in my garage and tow it to the airport. After some measuring, I contacted the factory - about 1995 - and asked how short I could trim the tips to shorten the wing length. The answer was essentially do what ever I needed to do. I cut them very short which required that I thin the lower skin for a tighter bend to mate up with the lower capstrip. Once bent to shape, I put in two or three layers of glass to return them to original strength.