PDA

View Full Version : New and in need of input

lst
07-19-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm within a few days of purchasing a Model IV-1200 complete kit that was originally purchased from Skystar in 1993. The original owner shortly after initiating the build was diagnosed with a terminal illness passing in 2001. His wife survives him with ownership of his estate. Very little work's been completed. Questions: The son, who's selling the kit, for his mom cannot locate the original Bill of Sale or 8050-2. His dad appears to have been very maticulous about maintaining all paperwork. Does anyone have experience in this type of situation to ensure proper documentation of ownership transfer for future FAA registration purposes? Also, as this is an original Model IV-1200 kit, any upgrade recommendations? It comes with a new 582 and all the components appear in excellent condition. Thanks in advance for any feedback or guideance. I look forward to guidance from the group as I complete this build.

Lane Taylor

Dave S
07-19-2009, 07:19 AM
H Lane,

You still may end up with a BOS sometime if it happens to get found; however, there is another solution if you can't. At least, be sure you get some type of record of your purchase from the party you are buying the kit from. The current owner of the Kitfox line cannot legally provide a BOS to you in any case since they didn't sell it to anyone.

I believe I can advise you that it is entirely possible to register an experimental homebuilt aircraft in special cases where a person does not have a bill of sale.

Personal experience, you see; and, not all that unique a situation.

The entity formerly known as skystar (egt corp) filed chaper 7, resulting in substantial $$ loses to a large number of customers left without goods paid for and left without documents like a bill of sale. People, including myself, have registered these aircraft without the benefit of a bill of sale.

The circumstances are different but the solution is similar for the registrant.

Obviously the FAA is interested in establishing a legitimate registration for an aircraft. They are trying to avoid "registration cleansing" of aircraft which which may have a less then legitimate lineage/history. If you meet the FAA halfway on this - they will register your aircraft - you simply have to provide reasonable evidence that you are being truthful with them and that the explanation makes sense.

So..how to do that...you have two choices, both related to AC Form 8050-88 which is the Affidavit of Ownership for Amateur-Built Aircraft. There is a section, "Must Check One" in the middle of the form. (I suggest getting a complete builders packet from your local MIDO right away since it includes all of the forms, including the 8050-88, and and a bunch of advisory circulars - or you can get them on the web form the FAA website)

In my case I checked "More than 50% of the above described aircraft was built from a kit (prefabricated parts) and I am the owner." I drew a line through the second sentence which states "The bill of sale from the kit manufacturer is attached"; then wrote in on the form "Explanation of Kit Provider's bankruptcy is attached" - then I wrote a letter attached to the affidavit providing the explanation and offering to provide invoices for everything I purchased from the bad guys before they filed bankruptcy and what I purchased from the good guys after the bankruptcy. I also called up my local MIDO office to ask about what to do.

Be aware that the registration goes to Oklahoma City; and , MIDO/FSDO can help you in preparation.

Sincerely,

Dave S
K7 Trigear
912ULS/Warp