PDA

View Full Version : Garland, & Rowlett Tornado

Paul Z
12-28-2015, 07:27 PM
FYI, I've had a few comments if I was alright, after the Garland tornado. My wife & I are fine, and our home is fine. The tornado was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles from our house. I've been sick for the last couple of weeks. So, I haven't been to the airport to check on my plane, but the airport hasn't called. I'm going to the airport tomorrow. Here are some interesting photos.

Paul Z
12-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Another photo

Paul Z
12-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Before the tornado, the homes just East of us.

Paul Z
12-28-2015, 07:30 PM
The homes after

Av8r3400
12-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Wow, Paul. Glad you are okay.

Prayers to those effected… :(

DesertFox4
12-28-2015, 09:15 PM
I checked ForeFlight weather and saw you had some powerful storms in your area.:eek: Glad you and wife are OK. Hope the Kitfox is snug and safe. So sorry for your neighbors. Tornado season runs long some years.

BTW. Do you have a storm shelter for such things?

Paul Z
12-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Tanks for the concern. No storm shelter, just a inside hall way. With God's help we are still still looking down at the grass.

GWright6970
12-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Paul,
Having been through some near-miss tornados that destroyed homes and businesses of family and friends, and some earthquakes that include losing our home in the Great Alaskan Earthquake, I can seriously relate to your feelings right now..... Offering prayers for your family and friends.....

Paul Z
12-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Grover Thank you for your well wishes, prayers, and concern.
If you follow this Facebook post by NBC News as the lightening flashes you can make out the storm, other than that you can not see it. I believe the Lightning is sparked as the transformers are hit. I just love sitting in the hallway to the bedrooms for 4 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/videos/1271767376176623/?pnref=story

colospace
12-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Paul,
I wondered how close that was to you. Too close in any case, but glad you and your household are okay. Don't usually need to worry about tornados this late in the year. Father-in-law Lakeside, NW of Ft. Worth) only got dumped on with several inches of heavy rain from this.

Paul Z
12-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Paul,
I wondered how close that was to you. Too close in any case, but glad you and your household are okay. Don't usually need to worry about tornados this late in the year. Father-in-law Lakeside, NW of Ft. Worth) only got dumped on with several inches of heavy rain from this.

Gary

Thanks, I’m glad your father is OK. Thanks for the well wishes.

Paul

DesertFox4
12-31-2015, 02:07 AM
Sad to see the loss of life and devistation left by this storm.:(
Prayers for our friends in Texas.

An aerial image taken Sunday, December 27, 2015 shows the path of a tornado in Rowlett, Texas. Violent storms ripped through the North Texas area late Saturday, spawning tornadoes that killed 11 people. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News)

Paul Z
12-31-2015, 11:15 AM
They have evacuated all of the people 100 yards around the water tank. They have drained all of the water, and have put guide wires to support the tank. Supposedly there is a lot of damage to it from flying debris. Thanks for the well wishes. We have these all too often in North & Central Texas. At least it is not like living in Moore & Norman Oklahoma. My daughter got to spend her Birthday in her Storm Shelter last May when the storm went through. She is still psychologically struggling with that.

Floog
01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Due respect but God, prayers, really? I thought this was a flying website.

Av8r3400
01-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Yes this is a flying oriented website and community.

Yes we will offer prayers and well wishes to members of this community when they are struck with bad times. Maybe we will even offer them to you someday.

If this offends you, too bad.

Floog
01-03-2016, 03:52 PM
No offense. Just a comment 'Super Moderator'.

Paul Z
01-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Larry Thanks!

Paul Z
01-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Yesterday, I went flying up to the Red River. The Red River is the border between Oklahoma & Texas. As I flew up north, I flew over the area near my house that was devastated. Damned that was a close call! I saw several houses that looked more like the old game of “Pick Up Sticks” my sister & I use play as kids. I am still as little shaken up about how close that came to my house. I really feel sorry for a couple of friends that lost everything. I can say one thing, my daughter has been trying to talk me into moving up to Norman OK, the answer is not only no but hell no!

As I was saying, I flew up to the Red River is the border between Oklahoma & Texas. I am looking for some good gravel bars to land on, and I think I found a few. I flew over one Family place that was unbelievable, right on the edge of the Red River. The picture I took of it was too ,fuzzy to post, I will get a photo of it the time I go up reconnoitering the area, I made two passes. I need to make a few a lot lower next time. If you look straight ahead on the second picture you can see a bend in the river. There was a massive gravel bar, that looked pretty good. If you look to the left of the picture there is a brownish field, I believe that was the Private Grass Strip I found. There is not a lot of water in the river because it is downstream from the Lake Texoma Dam.

jrevens
01-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes this is a flying oriented website and community.

Yes we will offer prayers and well wishes to members of this community when they are struck with bad times. Maybe we will even offer them to you someday.

If this offends you, too bad.

Sad to see the loss of life and devistation left by this storm.:(
Prayers for our friends in Texas.

My thanks to both of you guys for the caring and entirely appropriate comments.

SkyPirate
01-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Glad your ok Paul, we got 7.5" of rain off that storm, serious flooding here in missouri

Paul Z
01-04-2016, 08:38 AM
At this time of year I would hate to have that kind of flooding. Hypothermia would be a serious issue if you are forced to wade around. I hope you and/or family are alright.

SkyPirate
01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
We survived the flooding, then power out, now deep freeze..resilence hasn't given up on us yet 😎