PDA

View Full Version : New Kitfox product - tail light housing

Brandon Petersen
12-28-2015, 09:41 AM
New product announcement - Kitfox Tail Light Housing. Increase your visibility and safety by adding a tail light to your Kitfox!

We have developed a new tail light housing to fit the Whelen MB-1 strobe light on the Kitfox Speedster tail option. This part is 3D printed and weighs less than 1 oz. It can be installed before or after covering, providing an incredibly clean installation either way. The part can be painted to match aircraft paint to maintain the clean flow of the tail. We have planned the location so strobe flair does not interfere with the pilot's visibility in the cockpit. It's the perfect fit for your Kitfox!

The kit includes the housing, wire and screws. The cost is $92.00 and the kit is available now. The Whelen light can be sourced separately.

Email us or call us to place your order.

Brandon Petersen
12-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Installed....

trentp
12-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Very cool. I saw this on the back of the STi kitfox and was wondering about how the strobe was on the rudder like that.

jiott
12-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Very nice!

By the way Brandon, any progress on the elevator gap seals Kitfox was working on?

Flybyjim
12-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Looks great, any plans on other brand setups?

Brandon Petersen
01-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Jim Ott, I've not been involved in the gap seal. John may have better info if you want to drop him a line.

Jim, the base profile is the same for the Whelen and the AeroLED. However, the AeroLED has a long aluminum post hanging off the back that interferes with the rudder structure. We tried to work with them to modify their design and they didn't want to. To make our housing accommodate their light meant that it had to be extended and protrude farther off the aft end of the rudder and was not aestheticly pleasing, in our opinion.

If there is another brand you are thinking of, let me know and I can take a look at it. We have been very pleased with the Whelen and it makes the plane much more visible when behind the airplane....and the light itself is a reasonable price.

Hope that helps.
Brandon

Desertwndrr
01-29-2022, 01:41 PM
Now that this has been out a while, any suggestions on when is better to install this? Before or after covering?

Benbell4140
01-29-2022, 02:58 PM
I installed it after because I wasn’t aware that they sold it prior to me doing fabric and paint. It looks great! I painted it then glued it on with a white silicone of some type. (My rudder is white)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geek
01-29-2022, 05:09 PM
And for all of you who did this (Brandon), How did you run the wire between the vertical and the rudder? Flex conduit? Just wire?

Just wondering. Appreciate any inputs. Oh and sorry for the hijack.

Gary

Benbell4140
01-29-2022, 06:33 PM
I ran shielded wire with a rubber grommet in the hole that I drilled on the rear fiberglass part of the vertical stab.

4Hummer
01-29-2022, 08:40 PM
Id love to see the install instructions or pictures of how you get the wire from the aft fuselage to the rudder! Can see to picture it in my head

ScottS97385
01-30-2022, 06:34 AM
Id love to see the install instructions or pictures of how you get the wire from the aft fuselage to the rudder! Can see to picture it in my head

I would like to see photos as well!

Benbell4140
01-30-2022, 09:03 AM
I’ll try to take pics today. I used a TIG welding rod to fish the wire from the aft edge of the rudder to one of the hinge cut outs on the front edge of the rudder. I then used a long drill bit to drill a hole in the fiberglass on the back side of the vertical and installed a rubber grommet in the hole for the wire to pass thru. I did the install without removing the rudder.

Benbell4140
01-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Not the greatest pictures but you can see how I ran the wire. It will be secured to stay out of the rudder stops. (Side note) you can also see how I addressed the rudder stop issue that some have. I drilled and tapped a hole on the rear stop and used a Phillips head screw with appropriate washers to adjust rudder travel so that the rudder wouldn’t contact the elevator.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220130/95385389228069605289bd4ad8139410.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220130/89c611412af03b6f743c4728f25953ec.jpg