PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Door Windows

Monocock
12-27-2015, 02:03 AM
I see that Kitfox sell replacement door windows (tops and bottoms) for the Mk 3. Are these specially formed, or am I better to just cut new flat ones from Lexan and rivet them on??

jmodguy
12-27-2015, 03:32 AM
Since you are in the UK it would likely be a whole lot cheaper to cut your own unless you want the spiffy bubble windows.
Regards
Jeff

Monocock
12-27-2015, 03:42 AM
Thanks Jeff.

I take it that they're just flat Lexan then, and not heat/stretch formed in any way?

HighWing
12-27-2015, 05:54 PM
The door surface on the early Kitfoxes is a compound curve. Typically the top and bottom pieces can be cut from flat Polycarbonate sheets. The top and bottom pieces are connected by a structure that joins them in the center. Typically from the factory the top was Polycarbonate and the bottom aluminum. If you have molded joint, replacing the door skins is a pretty easy task as you already have perfect cutting and drilling templates. If your present door skin is one piece, the flat poly pieces will need the joining strip that essentially adapts the two flats to the compound curve required.

My first Model IV was assembled supplied by the factory with the aluminum bottom as I had a complex paint scheme I wanted to continue through the door.
On the second IV, I build, I adapted some aluminum H channel to join top and bottom Polycarbonate for visibility.