PDA

View Full Version : Trailering backwards

ken nougaret
12-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I was wondering if there is an issue with wind coming into the cockpit through the turtle deck area when trailering backwards on an open trailer. Thanks, ken

avidflyer
12-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I've trailered these planes backwards probably 3500 miles, and never had problems. I do tie the doors closed, and tie the flaperons together just to be on the safe side. Hauled a Kitfox 4 from Texas to Mn a while back. First pic was in Texas, second one in northern Mn. Jim Chuk

ken nougaret
12-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks jim.

grdev
01-19-2016, 02:12 PM
will a 20 ' boat trailer be long enough for the kit fox? I found one to go look at this weekend.

t j
01-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Yes, plenty long. Assuming it is a trailer for a 20' boat, and not a 20' long boat trailer.;)

The main wheels of the airplane will be positioned on the trailer right behind the trailer wheels like in Jim's photos above.

I just measured my classic four sitting on the trailer. From center of main gear wheels to the folded wing tips is 17' 6", and 20' 8" to the front of the trailer hitch. To the front of the spinner is 4'.

grdev
01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
I just found a really nice 20' single axle boat trailer for $200, figure I should jump on it before boats start hitting the water this spring. Sure would like to see some photos of how the rear of the trailer is modified

KFfan
01-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Gil,
There a picture in my profile that shows my trailer. May be of some help.

jtpitkin06
01-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Wind is not the problem when trailering. It's rain
John

grdev
01-20-2016, 06:55 AM
I was wondering about the elements during a long trip. Wife and I would love to tow plane to the various outings around the country, she isn't crazy about flying. I'm afraid if you just cover with a tarp the wind would cause the tarp to chafe the airplane. But anyway, that's the plan, small motor home, and towing the kitfox from hear to there.

colospace
01-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Missouri? Maybe the motor home will clear all the bugs away ahead of your Kitfox. :D

Av8r3400
01-20-2016, 07:05 AM
Greg, IMO, the only way I'd consider what you are proposing is with the use of an enclosed trailer. Going from home to the local airport or the rare emergency haul is one thing on an open trailer, but making a steady diet of it is quite another.

neville
01-20-2016, 07:31 AM
John has hit the nail on the head. Its the rain. I have used a trailer to transport my SS7 tri-gear the 2 miles to the airport for several years and found no practical method of closing off the baggage area from rain. As to the question
of frontwards or backwards, It is much easier to load for backwards transport.
I use a modified pontoon boat trailer. See the sticky on home page of the forum about trailering a kitfox.

ken nougaret
01-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Here's the trailer I started building. It began as a 24' boat trailer. I shortened the back a couple of feet and you can see it has extra off the back so I think a 20' would work well. This one just happened along. I still need to finish the forward portion of the ramp, put lights, and register it. I dropped it for now while I finish the plane.

grdev
01-20-2016, 09:53 AM
I live so close to the airport I will just use my atv to pull it up there. Been looking for a used enclosed camper, and plans to maybe build one, but haven't really found either one. I did buy a boat trailer a lot lot Kens I'll pick up this week end. That should should work well for me to tow plane to Wisconsin for the summer months.

kitfox2009
01-20-2016, 11:58 AM
There are some pics of my homebuilt open trailer on my albums page.
I have since upgraded to my "covered wagon ".
I have found that single axle trailers are much easier to get the proper hitch weight.
Good luck
Don

tommg13780
01-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Here's an example of an enclosed trailer that's been working quite well for me. It came in fairly light at 1980# empty.

kitfox2009
01-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi all
Someone sent me a private message a short while ago regarding plans and or materials used for the trailers shown in my albums.
I accidentally deleted the enquiry.
Could you resend if still interested.
Thanks
Don

ken nougaret
01-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Thomas, that is the best setup i have seen. Maybe some day i will attempt enclosing my boat trailer. And the weight of it is great.

tommg13780
01-21-2016, 04:13 AM
Ken,
This trailer started out as a boat trailer. We built the deck, put the kitfox on the deck and built the enclosure around it. My friend/fabricator came up with the idea to build a trough into the deck which allows the tail to drop down. The problem is this was certainly not economically feasible. Too much labor and materials are high priced when buying small quantities. It's a single purpose trailer but keeping the weight down and the wedge shape nose helps it pull easy and very stable. I think your open trailer would be a great candidate to become enclosed.

rainbird
01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Tommg, do you have any inside pictures of your trailer? It looks rather low at the front where the tail goes, do you raise the tail about a foot to transfer weight to the main gear.

ken nougaret
01-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Id like to see the inside of that trailer too.

tommg13780
01-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Here's a photo before the outside skin was put on. There's a bracket (not shown here) that supports and fastens down the tail. This takes the weight off the tailwheel and prevents any movement up/down or sideways.

rainbird
01-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Tommg 13780, That's the best inside of trailer picture I have ever seen. Any chance you have a pic of that tail support? Has anybody bowed out the sides in the area where the wings are? Sort of like a covered wagon. I have a Ram truck for a tow truck. I think my trailer hitch is high enough that the tail will not need to be raised to transfer the weight to the main gear. I think my trailer concept is coming together. I have learned the hard way that you never have a toy that you cannot trailer home when it breaks. My heart really goes out to Paul Z and the problems he is having with his plane.

kitfox2009
01-22-2016, 07:01 PM
I actually call mine " covered wagon". See my albums page.
Cheers
Don

kitfox2009
03-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Hi guys
Finally took a pic of the panel we made to fill the turtle deck gap when trailering backwards. It fits snugly , velcro straps to the struts and the headache cross tube. Almost water proof unless in a downpour. Easy to make from Cordura.
Don

ken nougaret
03-20-2016, 04:21 AM
Very nice. My wife needs to make one soon.

neville
03-21-2016, 08:09 AM
What model kitfox is the cover for? Any chance of some dimensions?

kitfox2009
03-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Hi neville
Mine is made for a Vixen. I suggest just taking measurements across your turtledeck opening and then allowing about 2 inches for down the sides. I marked and cut holes to allow the attach points to project through the cover. The slots at the front allow the flapperons to project through. Fix strips of self-adhesive Velcro to the main headache tube and the two flaps on your cover. Sew the Velcro to the flaps.
I could try for dimentions but you may be better off to just "custom fit" it to your aircraft.
The Cordura is very tough and allows holes to be cut without the edges fraying. Although I don`t tow much any more it is handy just for protection if the a/c is stored folded.
Have fun
Don