PDA

View Full Version : One fuel tank?

sdemeyer
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi List,
The left fuel tank on my IV-1200 ruptured again, in a different spot than before. Rather than muck around trying to repair, I've decided to replace the tank.

While I'm waiting for a new tank, does anyone see a problem with disconnecting the leaky left tank and only use the right tank? Are there any known fuel distribution issues with only using one wing tank?

Thanks,
Scott

Gary Algate
07-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi Scott,

I built a Lite2 (Model 4) in Canada and purposely built it with the panel tank and one x 1 Gal wing tank (pass side). Never had any balance or distribution issues. I still had more than enough gas to outlast my bladder capacity.

Gary (Classic 4 Jab2200)

ALAN
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Scott

I have a Kitfox 5 and had a leak in my left tank a few years ago and had no prob with flying with just one tank it still gave me over 3hr in the air. Good luck with the tank job

Alan

sdemeyer
07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I flew about 4 hours over the last couple of days using only the right tank. The engine didn't quit so I guess fuel is flowing fine.

Scott

Dave Holl
07-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Scot
I had a J3 cub with a tank only in the R/H wing plus a tank fwd of the inst panel and it worked just fine, it did not seem to matter to the trim weather the tank was full or empty!
I have just installed the tanks into my MK7 had to repair one before fitting hope the repair stands up but I guess it may be a year or more before I find out!!
dave