PDA

View Full Version : BFR question

glenbo66
12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does someone that ownes a single seat aircraft accomplish a BFR?

TahoeTim
12-10-2015, 07:27 PM
rent the CFI's plane

rv9ralph
12-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Fly the single seat plane under the observation of the CFI on the ground. It is an acceptable practice. (I asked the question of a CFI once)

Ralph

RV8JD
12-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Fly the single seat plane under the observation of the CFI on the ground. It is an acceptable practice. (I asked the question of a CFI once)

Ralph

Actually, that is not true. From AOPA:

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/News/All-News/2000/Answers-for-Pilots-(11)/sa03.pdf

"29. Can I take a flight review in a single-place airplane?

No. Again, FAR 61.56 requires that at least one hour of flight instruction be given to qualify as a review. The term “flight instruction” is generally construed to mean instruction given to a person while in an aircraft accompanied by a flight instructor. Although it is always possible for the FAA to change its interpretation, the present answer to this question is that a flight review cannot be conducted in a single-place airplane."

rv9ralph
12-11-2015, 10:09 PM
I stand corrected. I questioned the CFI over 10 years ago and it just could be his interpretation of the FARs. I know that the FAA has redefined the process, it is no longer a BFR but just a Flight Review, required every 24 months (same thing) but a change of terms.
Ralph