PDA

View Full Version : Camlocs too long

ken nougaret
10-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Are others seeing the camlocs as being too long on the turtledeck? Model SS.

mr bill
10-17-2015, 06:41 PM
I added washers between the mating half of the fasteners and the fuselage tabs.

HighWing
10-17-2015, 08:34 PM
I found this when building my two Model IVs. They are a bit pricey, but for the sake of neatness, I always purchased the longer or shorter versions for the proper fit. I have found it almost impossible to measure and order, but easier to trial fit, then get the size that adjusts for the correct fit. I guess I have 5 or 10 in a drawer in my spare parts bin.

jiott
10-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Yes I also had to buy many different lengths to get a proper looking fit on the cowlings and turtle deck. If I had it to do over again I think I would just bite the bullet and buy the self adjusting type (quite a bit more expensive) for all locations. By the time I bought all the different lengths of the cheaper ones, I think the cost probably came close to just buying the self adjusters.

On the turtle deck, I found some thick plastic washers at Ace Hardware and glued (Hysol) them to the fuselage tabs for spacers. The turtledeck Lexan doesn't really lay right against the tabs without spacers anyway.

rosslr
10-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Ken, I just finished this job too. I found that the supplied camlocks worked well if I added a thin sealing adhesive strip along the rear edge and a thicker strip along the sides up to the triangle windows. Not only did this result in even tension on the camlocks but the black sealing strips look good under the turtle deck edges too.

I guess by the previous posts that the turtleneck fitting is a custom one for each turtleneck on each Kitfox frame.

cheers

ross

Dick B in KY
10-18-2015, 04:42 AM
Try Skybolt Aeromotive and Aerospace in Fla. for self adjusting camlock fasteners. I also used a strip of self adhesive weather stripping along the edges of the turtle deck to seal out weather and prevent rubbing against the fabric.

Dick B

ken nougaret
10-18-2015, 05:51 AM
Thanks, good suggestions.

neville
10-18-2015, 06:13 AM
I saw a factory built SS7 which had adjustable stainless cam locks on the turtle deck. They are the same type I received with the firewall forward kit
for use on the upper engine cowling. I purchased some extra from the factory. They are also shown in the aircraft spruce catalog, however Kit fox price was better.

Paul Z
10-18-2015, 07:17 AM
I have one of the factory built SLSAs they use the self adhesive foam weather strip tape on the bottom side of the plex turtle deck. It definately protects the wear on the Fabrick & the paint. I have a small piece I am needing to replace, and it has started scratching the paint. Thanks for reminding me to add some before I'm needing to repair the Fabrick. I've got to go look at it today, so it doesn't damage it Monday when I plan on doing some flying.