PDA

View Full Version : Hub Caps for Douglas Rims?

Jono
10-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone found or had success with fitting some hubcaps to the older 8" Douglas ATV rims?
I was thinking something like this:
Golf Cart Hubs (http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/products/8-inch-Chrome-Baby-Moon-Golf-Cart-Hub-Caps.html)

Even if these weren't perfect perhaps I could fibreglass something up?

I'm keen to get some sort of cover over the wheel hubs but don't want to weld lugs on etc...
Thoughts / Comments?

Cheers
Jono

HighWing
10-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Jono,
I put hubcaps on my first A Model IV. I need an oath of secrecy before I tell the next part. Thanks! My wife is a flight attendant and I occasionally take advantage of her time away to use her things for my projects. The lid of her favorite frying pan had the perfect contour for laying up a couple of convex shapes that I trimmed for the covers themselves. To attach them to the wheel, I found d some aluminum flanges - similar to the ones that secure the large hose under the header tank to the belly fabric, but larger - that I glued to the wheel hub after attaching three anchor nuts. I used carbon fiber tubes as spacers between the hubcap and the flange.

I no longer have the original airplane but do still have the hubcaps. I put many hours on the airplane with the hubs. The only issue was the flanges made checking air pressure and adding air a little more of a challenge.

Jono
10-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks HighWing... I was thinking of using a lid from a bucket as a mold... Your idea looks better!